All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what to use instead of beef stock?
      #352867 - 11/30/09 09:28 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I want to make a stew and I need something to season it so its not plain what can I use instead of beef stock. I was going to use a turkey loin but that always comes out plain and dry any suggestions? thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what to use instead of beef stock? new
      #352868 - 11/30/09 09:42 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

You can use low fat, low sodium, chicken broth or canned vegetable broth (or vegetable broth powder in a jar). I prefer cooking such things in a slow cooker on low, however I do brown the meat in a skillet first before adding it to the slow cooker. I also use a little cooking wine when browning, as it adds to the flavor. A chunk of celery and/or carrot and onion in the crockpot also adds flavor and you can discard those when serving. I am one who can eat those veggies when well cooked, so I chop them up raw and add them to the stock in the beginning.

Put in the spices you like the smell of and that are compatible with one another, as well as your body. I sometimes add a bay leaf. I seriously doubt you could go wrong. Slow cookers (crock pots) can be a life saver. If you find that some things get too mushy, then add those ingredients more towards the end of cooking.

The cooked stock with whatever you add is the secret to the end result of a recipe overall.

By the way, you would probably be better of using turkey breast or chicken breast. There is a lot of fat in turkey dark me than some of us cannot tolerate. The dark meat was always my favorite, as was the crisp skin from a baked whole turkey. Can't do that any more!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: what to use instead of beef stock? new
      #352876 - 11/30/09 07:07 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Add chicken broth for sure and add a few drops of Worcheshire sause for colour and flavour.

How have you been Sheila?
Whens that baby due?I hope I haven't missed it.

Chris aka dragonfly

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3999

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review