All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten free baking and Heather's recipes
      #352345 - 11/17/09 02:41 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I just found out not only do I have IBS, I am gluten, soy and dairy sensitive. Following Heather's diet I have been dairy free so that is no problem. But this is. I have tried to bake some of Heather's quick breads gluten free using a product called Nearly Normal All Purpose Flour, which claims it is a one to one substitution, but after talking to the company they are moving away from that statement and adding SOMETIMES, and they did not turn out. I have made Kandee's Mighty Nice Rice Muffins many times and am ready to try more without having to throw things away. So hear are my questions:

1) has anyone substituted gluten free flours in Heather's recipes and what did you use and how much xanthan gum

2) any good gluten free low fat baking cookbooks

And if this has already been discussed please give me the link to the thread, I must have missed it.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten free baking and Heather's recipes new
      #359039 - 06/02/10 07:16 PM
Sweetfudge

Reged: 03/13/06
Loc: Utah

I haven't done a whole lot of the baking recipes in Heather's cookbook. The rule of thumb for xanthan gum though is 1 tsp per cup of flour for lighter baked goods, like cookies and cakes, and 2 tsp per cup for breads.
Mostly I bake out of gluten free cookbooks/online blogs and substitute as necessary to make things more IBS friendly. Seems to be easier to work with recipes that are already formulated for gluten free baking, and then to just sub applesauce or cocoa powder for fattening ingredients, etc.

I use a sorghum flour mix which I really enjoy. Here are the measurements:
1 ½ c sorghum flour
1 ½ c potato starch or cornstarch
1 c tapioca starch

Best of luck to you!

--------------------
Sweetfudge

Diagnosed w/ celiac disease June 2006, and started gluten free diet.
Stopped eating dairy June 2008.
Started IBS diet October 2008.
Diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in 2008 and lost 45 unwanted lbs!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2973

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review