All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
CHICKEN SOUP & How can we start testing our tolerances
      #351295 - 10/28/09 01:53 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I just boiled a Whole chicken to make my Fav Chicken soup however can I use that stock and eat some of the dark meat? I havent tested any waters I am gettin gsick of white meat chicken. Soup has carrots, onion, zucchinni, ( i wont eat the onions) sometimes I throw in Can diced tomato. I havent had this since I started the diet almost 2 years ago so I dont know if it bothers me or not. I remeber it being ok for the most part.
How do we test the system safely??? There has to be some people on here who can eat things that others cannot. I am no fully sure of all that bothers me. I dont want to live forever not eating some of the foods I enjoy. I have gotten used to a lot of the substitutes I can deal with a lot of the limitations but want to know HOW do we know what can and cant be tolerated without somehow trying things again. Any ideas how to carfully try??

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CHICKEN SOUP & How can we start testing our tolerances new
      #351307 - 10/28/09 04:55 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

From what I understand, you are supposed to be stabilized and following the diet. Then try the one food and see what happens. Don't try a lot of different things at the same time because then you won't know which one triggers the symptoms. One of my biggest triggers is dair food. For me, when I start trying to eat some dair again I am ok at first, but after about a week o two weeks, bam....here come the symptoms. My trigger foods do not usually show up on me immediately after the meal (or even the same day), mine will show up a day or two later. I treasure the feeling or normalcy more than the taste of my trigger foods so I try to stay as close to the diet as possible and as far away from trigger foods as possible. If you just "have" to have something maybe do it once or twice a year....like a special occasion. I hope this has helped some. Good luck and God Bless.....

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351396 - 10/31/09 09:01 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you want to eat a little of the dark meat just be sure the rest of the meal is high in FF calories. Generally soup is low in calories so the fat from the dark meat would be too much, but if you eat a lot of bread with your soup, you should be able to handle a little defatted dark meat. Make sure to skim the fat off the broth when cooking the chicken.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#351402 - 10/31/09 11:28 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I have found that if I remove all of the skin when I simmer a whole chicken, that I can tolerate homemade chicken soup very well, including the dark meat. I simmer the chicken slowly (after brought to a slow boil) with a bay leaf, some whole pepper corns, a stalk of celery and a chunk of white onion (about half of a medium one).

I remove the breast as soon as it is cooked through. and save that in the frig for another recipe. I continue to cook the dark meat and the bones. Once the bones are soft, turn off the stove and strain out the meat and bones, as well as the bay leaf, onion, and celery from the actual broth and discard these. The broth goes back into the pot, and I refrigerate the broth until any remaining fat solidifies on the top and lift it off, discarding it.

Meanwhile, the actual dark meat is torn in pieces right off of the bones, toss bones and refrigerate pieces of meat in a zip-lock bag or a glass container. When you are ready to make the actual chicken soup (for me, the following day).

When I make the actual soup, I do not add any more onion though do add some diced celery and whatever veggies such as a little carrot and some zuchini. I cook yolk-free noodles on the side and add them when the veggies are done (maintaining a clear broth), along with the chunked chicken meat, including some pieces of the white meat. Sometimes I add a can of organic chicken broth to enhance the flavor or increase the amount of soup. I also add some parsley for color. Once the veggies are done, and before you add the chicken or noodles, turn off the stove. The broth is hot enough to warm the meat and the noodles for immediate serving.

For me personally, the secret was not so much about avoiding the well-cooked dark meat but rather getting rid of the skin before the fat ended up infused into the broth. While one might think the fat all floats to the top of the stock, apparently it doesn't.

It's definitely the season for chicken soup and crock pot meals, isn't it?

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#351795 - 11/08/09 04:25 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I think I missed stating something clearly here. The skin of the chicken is removed and discarded BEFORE the chicken is stewed (simmered). No fat from the skin ends up in the broth this way.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review