All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
my birthday is next wensday,ideas please.
      #350786 - 10/14/09 09:18 AM

Unregistered

ok so there will be some unsafe ibs stuff for my family,boyfriend,and a family friend such as cake and ice cream because I'm not going to make them have ibs safe stuff..I can have an ibs safe dinner for me though,the cake and ice cream isn't a big deal for me not to have..

I was thinking a jennio turkey and some squash..What's a really tasty ibs safe way to cook the turkey in the oven? also what about the squash tell people to put their own butter and suger in it? Anything really easy and ibs safe for my birthday or that would taste good with the turkey and sqash? my mom will be making it and she hates cooking..or if it's something simple maybe I'd make one thing.

oh ya,my boyfriend is a really picky eater and he'd only eat the turkey,and cake,but most likely only cake..I was thinking just having my parents order pizza for everyone and have them cook the turkey and squash and we could all eat off that during the week. But i think they'd only buy one or the other for me..

Edited by aperson (10/14/09 09:23 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my birthday is next wensday,ideas please. new
      #350791 - 10/14/09 10:25 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

For my birthday this year we made a whole turkey in one of those oven bags and I just ate the white meat. It was excellent. I also bought the ordea steam and mash poatoes that you just add your own milk and buter to and everyone didn't know the differance. We aslo had green beans(if you can handle them) and pillbury makes low fat cressant rolls that are awesome. As far as cake went I made a choclate low fat cake that was awesome my bestfriends husband is still talking about it. If you would like the recipe I can pass it along! I say its your birthday please yourself not everyone else around you my friends ate all of my food and didn't think twice about it. Happy birthday in advance.
emmasmom
ibsc- gas

#350793 - 10/14/09 11:25 AM

Unregistered

I was wondering what else I could do besides cook the turkey plain in the oven,like wat kind of seasonings would be really good and such,ordea steam potatoes,do u buy at wal mart? yes please give me the recipe,I'm still going to have my dad buy cake and ice cream for everyone,but I'll probly make myself and ibs safe cake or dessert,so I can eat that while they eat. Can I use smart balance light for the butter cuz that's all there is in this town,the only soy products are soy delious dairy free ice cream,there is the wal mart grocery store,and 2 other grocery stores in this small town and I've looked at them all.

#350796 - 10/14/09 01:09 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

At Thanksgiving and Christmas I always make mashed potatoes using Smart Balance light and unsweetened rice milk. My family has never noticed the difference.

I agree that it is your birthday and you should have foods there that you can eat. Green beans are a good choice or cooked carrots if you can tolerate either of them.

I would definitely go with a safe birthday cake since it is your birthday. The angel food cake with the crushed pinapple is wonderful. I have made that for lots of people and they always love it.

Good luck, Happy Birthday and have fun!

--------------------
Janey

#350797 - 10/14/09 01:45 PM

Unregistered

ok but I'm getting a regular birthday cake for the guests and having my mom make me an ibs safe one so while everyone is eating wal mart cake I'm eating ibs cake,I don't have a problem with that! if anyone wants a piece of my cake,thats fine too,but why shouldn't I let them have regular cake? my dad is buying so wats it matter? Everyone else wants a real birthday cake,even though ibs recipes can taste good I know they all want regular dairy cake from wal mart and regular dairy ice cream.

#350801 - 10/14/09 04:42 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

yes you can get the potatoes at wal-mart in the freezer section and they make a sweet potatoe to. I always use smart blance light a little milk and some water and there great! I use smart balance light for everything were I need butter. I will post you the cake recipe asap! Trust me one bite of this and you will not miss a wal-mart cake! I made one for a party and one from a box and everyone loved my safe ibs cake so much better! I'll post it soon.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

since we have lots of real potatoes.. new
      #350867 - 10/17/09 09:09 AM

Unregistered

my mom is making mashed potatoes..ok since I can't get anyone to make the ibs safe cake cuz they all just want to go buy a cake,I don't have a problem making the recipe u posted myself. Are there any storebought gravys that are safe? my mom mentioned making gravy out of the juice in the bottom after the turkey was cooked..how does she do that?

Re: since we have lots of real potatoes.. new
      #350904 - 10/18/09 11:06 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I would think the pan juices are okay, but ONLY if your mom skims off all of the fat in the juices. The liquid remaining can be thickened with flour or corn starch.

If you think the gravy might still be a problem for you, bring along some soy butter and top your serving of mashed potatoes with that. Perhaps you might top this with some chopped parsley or chopped spring green onion.

I wish you a wonderful and happy birthday!... symptom free, of course.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#350905 - 10/18/09 11:08 AM

Unregistered

well since I'm eating lowfat anyway perhaps she doesn't have to skim the fat off? well we're putting chicken broth in the bottom to baste or watever...are there any really good seasonins that I should put on the turkey?

windchimes.. new
      #350906 - 10/18/09 11:27 AM

Unregistered

also,could you please look at my digestive enzyme post and some other posts of mine that haven't gotten response please?

#350907 - 10/18/09 11:43 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I would really watch that grease that comes off of the turkey from the skin, and eliminate it from the gravy. If you really want to try gravy with the fat in it, then I suggest you take a couple of fiber capsules before you eat.

I'd also suggest avoiding packaged gravy mixes. If you read what's in them, you'll find a lot of things that are triggers for many IBS sufferers.

As for seasoning the turkey... when I cook one, I usually only use salt and white pepper on the skin. However, inside the cavity of the turkey I put about half of an onion quartered and some pieces of celery, sometimes some fresh parsley sprigs also. This helps flavor the turkey and also the pan juices. Discard the veggies when you're ready to carve the turkey.

Given you plan to put some chicken broth in the bottom of the pan, you could also put a little onion, celery, parsley, etc. in the pan broth. If you want more seasoning than salt and white pepper, then sprinkle the turkey with a little poultry seasoning when you put it in the oven. I personally don't find basting turkeys necessary at all, and doing so flushes the seasonings off of the turkey.

When it's time to eat, also be careful when it comes to the dark meat (my favorite, by the way!). The dark meat has a lot more fat in it than the white meat does.

Have you thought about making some stuffing on the side? You can make this with dried french or sourdough bread crumbs, onion, celery, and parsley, moistened with some low fat chicken broth, the whites of two eggs, and a little poultry seasoning. The veggies need to be chopped small and sauted just a little in a pan lightly sprayed with Pam (or similar) before tossing with the egg whites and chicken broth. This can then be put in a casserole and baked at 375 degrees until hot and slightly browned on the top. Yum!

Best of luck and an enjoyable meal on your birthday. You've really made me hungry for Thanksgiving dinner!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

how to make breadcrumbs or where to buy at wal mart? new
      #351347 - 10/29/09 10:45 AM

Unregistered

sorry,do I just leave out some french bread? I buy wal mart's french bread,and let it dry then crumble up? or does wal mart have safe bread crumbs u can buy?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16806

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review