All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Skinny Figgy bars
      #349615 - 08/31/09 05:14 PM

Unregistered

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/skinny-figgy-bars.html

is that safe? also what exactly are figs and where at wal mart would I get that? and agave nectar or other liquid sweetner? not sure what that is,if its safe where do I get it? if its not,whats a safe substitute?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

omg love that blog check out this delicious recipe new
      #349632 - 09/01/09 09:53 AM

Unregistered

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/03/strawberry-whip.html

looks ibs safe and so good! but maybe just blend the strawberried in a blender instead of eating them whole?

help with skinny figgy recipe,please? new
      #349644 - 09/01/09 07:29 PM

Unregistered

all I could find was chopped dates with sugar..can I use those or now do I need to adjust the recipe? Also where can I find dried figs? couldn't find them at wal mart looked in the raisin and dried food section,where else would they be?

I don't have a food processor,now what do I do?

Re: Skinny Figgy bars new
      #349668 - 09/03/09 10:35 AM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

I'm not sure whether figs are IBS-safe or not--figs, like plums/prunes can have a laxative effect, perhaps because they are very high in fiber--but in the EFI book, Heather states that they may be safe with a strong enough base of soluble fiber. I'm not sure if the oat crust can provide that, though. If you're willing to try it and accept the possible negative consequences, I would advise eating a good soluble fiber base first (potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.) and only trying one bar. Just be careful. You also might want to decrease the fig/date quantity in this recipe and increase the applesauce and oats a bit. I'm not sure how that would affect the cooking time, though.

No slight against Wally World (they've saved me a number of times with their low, low prices and their Cost Cutters hair salons), but I don't know if you're going to find figs or agave nectar there. You might have to go to a different grocery store. According to wiki, figs are indigenous to SW Asia and the Mediterranean, with very little output in North and South America, so they might be hard to find and you might have to hunt around a bit. A Mexican grocery might have the agave nectar if you can't find it at another grocery store.

Agave nectar is the syrup of the agave plant. Not very descriptive, I know, but agave are succulent plants. They are also used to make Tequila.
...the more you know! ^_^

Re: omg love that blog check out this delicious recipe new
      #349670 - 09/03/09 10:53 AM
lobstress

That looks beautiful! I want it now!

Like you said, I think you might just want to blend all of the strawberries. It'll probably end up more like a shake than a parfait.

Be wary, though, some people have reported problems with soy. I can drink soy milk and eat soy ice cream, but soy yogurt made me nauseous. I might've just gotten a nasty flavor, though.
Also, heavily seeded berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.) have given me trouble if I eat them on an empty stomach (probably because I broke the rules!), so again, I'd advise eating a good soluble fiber base beforehand.

P.S. Please forgive all of my motherly caveats. When I was first diagnosed, I was so messed up that I could only eat the blandest of bland food and anything else felt like a huge risk, but little by little, I branched out into different things and learned what I could handle and when I could handle it and in what quantities.

Re: Skinny Figgy bars new
      #349673 - 09/03/09 11:50 AM

Unregistered

I hope someone very good with recipes and modifying/substituting things and amounts can do that for me. what do you think about apple jack cereal,is that ibs safe?

#349674 - 09/03/09 11:52 AM

Unregistered

yes I would have eat this with a good sf base first...I already know that,but thanks for warning me. hey I don't have a food processor,but do u know what would happen if I put a small salad in it? would it just chop it up into smaller pieces?

#349827 - 09/09/09 11:49 AM
lobstress

I'm not sure about Apple Jacks, honestly. The artificial additives might be irritants, but that's all I can think of.

As for a salad in a food processor, I think any water (from the lettuce or tomatoes, depending on what all you put in it) would make it kind of soggy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10853

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review