All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
juicing
      #345826 - 05/09/09 03:19 PM
wagirl

Reged: 05/09/09
Loc: wa state

I'm new as of this date and have a daughter that has IBS and is now suffering from a severe attack that put her in the ER this morning. I'm wondering about juicing fresh veggies/fruits for her. Should I peel everything before I juice them? I have been adding the tummy fiber and glutamine to the juice. She's been going thru this for the last 2 weeks and I'm pretty much at my wits end trying to help her. Any thoughts?

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: juicing new
      #345827 - 05/09/09 03:23 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's attack. That must be very scary. Is your daughter IBS-D, IBS-C, or IBS-A?

Fruit juice is not a good idea because fruit juices deliver so much fructose so fast that they can upset even a non-IBS gut and are even worse for IBS guts. Vegetable juices should be fine and so long as your daughter is suffering so much I would peel them. Also keep in mind that high acidity - like you find in tomatoes - can be tough on IBS tummies especially before they're stabilized.

Have you read through the rest of the site and figured out Soluble Fiber, Insoluble Fiber, trigger foods, and so on? If you need any other help or direction, just holler.

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#345829 - 05/09/09 03:29 PM
wagirl

I've been juicing carrots, apples and ginger and have been peeling them. She has IBS with diarrhea. I have looked at some of the site but not all, so I'm not that familiar. Right now just getting her to eat something is the big problem. She has lost about 10 lbs in the last 10 days. Thanks for responding so fast. I'm at a loss and can't do much to help.

#345830 - 05/09/09 03:49 PM
Sand

Here's an old post that has links to the basics you need to read. It's a fair amount of reading but I think if you go through it you'll have a good idea of how to try Heather's approach for your daughter.

Since your daughter is IBS-D, you can get her started on eating just Soluble Fiber. She can't do it forever but it can really help calm down her tummy. The old post I sent you to has this link, too, but you might start here to Break The Cycle of attacks. This recommends a menu of just Soluble Fiber foods for a few days - French or Italian bread, rice, bananas, applesauce, and so on. I do fine adding in Rice Chex and pretzels too.

Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread is a yummy and very soothing addition after a day or two. Then consider trying a smoothie . The recipe I've sent you to calls for blueberries but to start with I'd leave those out (they're Insoluble Fiber) and just add more peaches (they have some Insoluble Fiber but not a whole lot as long as they're peeled) or some mango or papaya. You can also add some dried egg white to a smoothie; your daughter won't taste it and it will get some safe protein down her.

Be sure you're not giving your daughter too much tummy fiber too fast. You really do need to start with a small amount and work up. You can stir it into applesauce or blend it in a smoothie. (I don't know what glutamine is.)

I hope this helps get you started. If you have any questions, just ask. You'll probably get more responses to general IBS questsions if you post on the IBS Diet Board rather than on this IBS Recipe Board.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#345833 - 05/09/09 05:06 PM
wagirl

I am starting the fiber out slowly--about 1 level tsp. 2x daily for about a week now. The glutamine is an amino acid that was recommended to us by a woman who owns our local health food store who also has IBS-D and thats what she takes as maintenance. And the BRAT diet is what I've been trying to serve (banans, rice, applesauce and toast)She is 26 so not a little girl anymore but when kids are sick its hard not to treat them like they are little. I will do more reading and take your advice with appreciation.

thanks again--Happy MOMs day!!

#345843 - 05/10/09 07:04 AM
Sand

Happy Mother's Day to you. Although I don't have children, I can imagine it's hard to see your child sick however old she is.

I'm sure you've already done this but please do be sure your daughter has had all the tests necessary to confirm the diagnosis of IBS. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion which means all other possibilities must be ruled out.

I hope you will encourage your daughter to do the reading on Heather's approach and to read her books. I was hideously sick with IBS-D and in total despair when I found this Website and it has changed my life. I hope it does the same for your daughter.

Take care.

--------------------

#345857 - 05/10/09 03:14 PM
wagirl

She's had some testing, a colonoscopy/endoscopy a few years ago but nothing more than that. At 26, she pretty much is in charge of her medical decisions and altho, more envasive and expensive testing was suggested, she has a high medical deductible and with the economy, probably won't do it. But today has been a much better day--altho very tired, she is eating and feeling much better which means I feel better too.
thanks again for your support!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review