for those who miss french food...creamy seafood crepes
#3368 - 03/19/03 05:28 PM
Loc: Chicago, IL.
I tried this recipe the other night, but i made some substitutions so that it is easier to prepare and safer to eat. here it is with the subs...
what you need...
*the recipe calls for homeade crepes, but those are loaded with milk, eggs, and butter, and are tricky for a new chef, so i tried some "spring roll pastry". it was in the freezer section of my grocery store. they work fabulously, much better than even the crepes would i think.
2 tbs margarine
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots or sweet onion (i used sweet onion)
2 tbs dry vermouth (i didn't use this)
3 tbs all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbs plain soy milk, divided
1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (i just used a little shake of ground red pepper, careful it packs a punch)
8 oz cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
8 oz lump crabmeat or imitation crab, shredded
2 tbs sniped fresh chives or green onion tops
3 tbs freshly grated soy parmesan cheese (i used crumbled mozzarella, still very very good)
fresh chives and red onion for garnish
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. melt margarine over medium heat in medium saucepan. add shallots; cook and stir 5 minutes or until shallots are tender. add vermouth; cook 1 minute.
3. add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups soy milk and hot pepper sauce if desired. bring to a boil; stirring frequently. reduce heat to low; cook and stir 1 minute or until mixture thickens.
4. remove from heat; stir in shrimp and crabmeat. reserve 1/2 cup seafood mixture; set aside.
5. to assemble crepes, spoon about 1/4 cup seafood mixture down center of each crepe. roll up crepes jelly-roll style (or burrito style). place seam side down in greased 13x9 in baking dish.
6. stir chives and remaining 2 tbs soy milk into reserved seafood mixture. spoon seafood mixture down center of crepes; sprinkle soy cheese evenly overtop.
7. bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. serve immediately. garnish if desired.