All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Too Fat & need help
      #334760 - 08/18/08 10:31 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I haven't been on the boards for a while & as a result, my IBS has gotten worse, & I've gotten so fat that now it's time to back on the wagon so to say. I've got a week with my hubby out of town & I was hoping to try & learn how to "cook in advance". What I'd like to do is to cook on Sunday morning or maybe just one night a week & make meals that I could freeze & use later in the week (that's why my diet is so bad, I'm too tire to cook at night).
I'd love to be able to use my crock pot more & find stuff my hubby (who usually doesn't like my IBS stuff) will also eat.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Meryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too Fat & need help new
      #334771 - 08/18/08 12:20 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Search the board and theres lots of crockpot recipes you'll have to look at them and just see if you can eat them and make adjustments if you have to. My and my dh favorite is kree crockpot chicken stew with either heathers corn bread or bluberry muffins. Try making big pots of soup they go far and make some chicken nuggets they freeze well and all you have to do is reheat them. The bread freezes well to.
hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#334783 - 08/18/08 12:56 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Whatever you make for supper double it and freeze half.I did a huge package of spagetti and sauce with ground chicken and whatever was left over I mixed together, froze it and then through it in the oven a week later.It was better the second time around.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334791 - 08/18/08 01:14 PM
jonoma

Reged: 01/28/08
Loc: Michigan

My favorite freezer cooking site is 30 Day Gourmet
Click on recipes and you'll find a ton of freezable recipes that you can easily adapt to the IBS diet.

One of my favorite lowfat freezer meals is Dijon Chicken

We also make Baked Pasta with Lemon Chicken and it freezes well. If you don't like the way frozen pasta thaws, you can always boil that fresh and freeze the sauce.

Here's another one:
Parmesan Chicken
(adapted from a Super Suppers recipe)

8 chicken breast halves
canola oil spray
1 cup grated soy Parmesan
1 cup Panko* bread crumbs
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt

1. Heat oven to 375. Coat large baking sheet w/cooking spray.
2. Coat chicken pieces lightly with canola oil. In shallow dish, mix remaining ingredients; coat chicken with crumb mixture.
3. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered at 375, for 55-60 min. or until done.

To FREEZE ahead: Prepare thru step 2. Freeze in container up to 2 mos. Defrost completely in refrigerator. Continue with step 3.

*Panko crumbs are coarser than regular; found near stuffing and breadcrumbs
*Often, chicken breasts are so thick that I butterfly them or pound them thinner to stretch them a little further.

#334803 - 08/18/08 02:38 PM
Meryl36

Oh, I didn't know you could freeze breaded chicken breast. that will definitley save me some time. I'll also check out that website.
thanks so much
Meryl

#334805 - 08/18/08 02:40 PM
Meryl36

so I guess you can feeze just about anything uh? as you may have figured out by now, I'm not much of a cook so this is very helpful information.
thanks again
Meryl

#334860 - 08/19/08 10:11 AM
cooking4six

Reged: 08/19/08
Loc: Southwest, US

Since I cook for a family of six I hate cooking EVERY night. Some nights there's no time in our after school after sports schedule do put together anything but soup and sandwiches. So, what I do is make very large portions for three nights and then on the fourth night (or our busiest night) it's leftovers!
To save on cooking time, make your staples ahead. You can make a large batch or rice and have it waiting in the frig or freezer. The same goes for baked potatoes. With baked potatoes your husband can load his up with his favorite toppings while you use soy sour cream. Some nights when my family is dying to have beef or pork, I make it with safe side dishes so they can have the meat they're craving and I eat the tasty side dishes. I don't feel deprived when I'm eating a sweet potato with green beans, onion and soy bacon bits!
Most importantly, keep trying IBS safe recipes on your husband (from the book or adapted from his favorites). He's bound to like something.

--------------------
IBS-A

#334969 - 08/20/08 08:46 AM
Meryl36

Thanks for the idea!!
I did make an attempt this weekend & made a big batch of turkey chili & 3 grilled chicken breasts so since hubby is out for the rest of the week, that should hold me.
So how long will baked potatos last in the fridge????
thanks
Meryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 316 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review