All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Cheesecakes
      #332894 - 07/20/08 07:48 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I made Heather's "Better than Cheesecake" today and was very impressed - the texture is pretty much bang on and it tastes pretty darn good, too! I used a frozen mixed fruit blend for the topping - peaches, strawberries and blueberries. So good! I seriously think if I served it to guests they probably wouldn't even know!

I'm just wondering, if I wanted to experiment with other soy cheesecakes, if it's possible just to substitute silken tofu and/or soy cream cheese in other, everyday cheesecake recipes?

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Cheesecakes new
      #332897 - 07/20/08 08:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think for the most part it is. Just focus on flavoring the tofu more than following the recipe. You probably need a little bit of thickener like flour or whatever. I can't remember what is called for in Heather's recipe. Also you can go to vegetarian websites and get tofu cheesecake recipes. In my opinion when you switch from dairy to dairy free you have to flavor it more aggressively. A chai tofu cheesecake would probably be good, or maybe mint chocolate.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#332898 - 07/20/08 08:54 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I was really impressed with her tofu cheesecake too! I miss cheesecake so much, that used to be my favorite dessert. So when I made the tofu I didnt have high hopes but honestly like you said the texture was exactly that of real cheesecake and my dad wasnt really a believer until I gave him a piece to try and he couldnt belive how good and close to real cheesecake it was! I used the raspberry and blueberry topping. I added lemon, sugar and cornstarch. Boiled the mixture, let cool and topped it on the cheesecake. It was really yummy!! A great treat!

I would think just subbing silken tofu and soy cream cheese would work fine. My mom has a great cheesecake recipe that is topped with crushed pineapples and cheeries. I might have to get that from her and substitute. The only thing is that my crust didnt turn out so well. It didnt stick together and it kinda came up with the cheesecake. How was your crust??

Stef

#332951 - 07/21/08 05:36 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I actually had a box of graham cracker crumbs in my cupboard so I used that instead of crushing up some crackers. The only thing was I didn't know how much of the crumbs to use since I don't know how much 8 crushed crackers measures out to. So I just sort of estimated and probably added a little more oil than I was supposed to. As it turned out, the crust was actually SLIGHTLY soggy, and unfortunately the crumbs were probably a little stale, too. But the cheesecake was so good I wasn't even concerned with it! LOL!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4100

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review