All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any smoothie recipes minus bananas and honey??
      #331816 - 06/30/08 08:30 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

So I have vanilla soy milk and two mangos at home and want to make some sort of smoothie. I looked at the recipe index but I am allergic to bananas and honey and almost all of the smoothie recipes have bananas too. Anyone have any good smoothie recipes minus bananas and honey?? Thanks!!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any smoothie recipes minus bananas and honey?? new
      #331839 - 07/01/08 08:04 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I usually just throw things in and whirl it up. Yesterday I made a orange slusy. I didn't measure but.....

small amount of orange juice
"milk" of your choice, I used soy. Around the same amount as orange juice.
a few teaspoons of sugar
and ice cubes 4-8

I first put in the oj. Then the milk and sugar. I blended untill mixed. I added the ice cubes one at a time and blended untill they were crushed and incoprorated into the liquid. The end results should be a frothy, icy, thick drink similar to an orange julius. It was really good everyone liked it, my DH, DD and DS.

Banana is good to thicken things up. You could use soy yogurt instead. Pick any flavor you like. To sweeten things you could use maple syrup, agave necture, sugar.

Mangos are delish and you could make one with mangos, milk and ice. Or mangos, soy yogurt, and a little juice. Or mangos, ice and juice. Some people like to add ice cream to thiers also, makes it more like a shake. Make sure to use a non-dairy based "ice cream"

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#331844 - 07/01/08 08:48 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

You know....you could use that blueberry ice cream you made! Add that with some fresh fruit of any choice and some sugar and ice and rice/soy milk and that would be SO yummy.
btw, I made some strawberry ice cream yesterday and it didn't set up! All of my others did..but I think the juice from the berries watered it down. booo!
I want a bluberry smoothie now!!:)
My hubby hates bananas in his smoothies, so we always make one with strawberries, cran juice, ice and sugar..and some acacia.
Enjoy smoothie season:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#331882 - 07/01/08 03:09 PM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

I have this or a version of this every morning:

1 cup soy milk (or rice milk)
1/2 cup frozen mango
2 tbs frozen blueberries

The frozen fruit takes place of the ice, sometimes I may have to add a bit more soy milk if it is too thick. I have gotten in the habit of freezing about 1/2 of the fruit I buy for my smoothies (I can now tolerate about 1/3 of a nectarine w/ mango smoothie). I have found if I have the mango base, i can add other fruit in. I haven't needed to add sugar, but adjust as necessary.

(and if you are just using mango, add some vanilla extract, it makes a really nice smoothie)

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

#331885 - 07/01/08 03:47 PM
steffiejoy

A blueberry, mango smoothie sounds really good! I am going to try that!! Thank you!!

Stef

Icecream/sorbet new
      #331886 - 07/01/08 03:50 PM
steffiejoy

Thats a bummer your strawberry icecream didnt set up. I made strawberry sorbet and it worked quite well- just strawberries, sugar, and a bit of lemon juice. I find that whenever I try to substitute- like using soy milk/creamer instead of heavy cream- it doesnt set up as well. I think I might have to stick to sorbet. I havent tried that pudding icecream yet, have you? Oh well, I love sorbet anyways!!!
Good luck!!

Stef

smoothies new
      #331941 - 07/02/08 05:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have a formula that never fails and I have posted it many times. 1 c soy milk, 1 frozen fruit, 1 fresh fruit. You don't have to have bananas although they are sweetest and I never put honey in mine. If you use strawberries or fresh peaches you might need a little stevia, but if you have two sweet fruits you won't. Also I like adding some frozen dates to my smoothies for more fiber and sweetness.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Icecream/sorbet new
      #331942 - 07/02/08 06:12 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

So, just fyi, my ice cream totally froze into a solid block in the freezer. I defrosted over night and put it BACK in the ice cream maker and it DID thicken up! yum!!! So, now I have some yummy ice cream. It just probably needed a LOT longer to mix than regular ice cream. I used soy creamer and almond milk...

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5443

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review