All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Heather's tofu cheesecake
      #331185 - 06/17/08 08:32 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Has anyone ever tried Heather's "Better than Cheesecake, Cheesecake" with tofu? I miss cheesecake sooo much, its one of my favorite desserts so I am off to the store to buy some tofu (I've never had tofu before)Wish me luck!!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's tofu cheesecake new
      #331203 - 06/17/08 12:19 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

let us know how it is. I'm afraid of tofu a bit since some soy tends to bother me. Let me know, as cheesecake would be AMAZING to eat again:)

--------------------
IBS-A

Question about the crust for Heather or anyone who's made it new
      #331210 - 06/17/08 04:23 PM
steffiejoy

Well I made it, let it chill and I think it tastes fabulous! It looks just like cheesecake and really I think it tastes like it too! It has a nice lemon flavor but not overwhelming and I used the summer berry topping with raspberries, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch and it is wonderful!
My only question to either Heather or anyone who has made this (its in her Eating for IBS recipe book): my crust didnt really turn out. The graham cracker crust is soggy and it didnt stick. When I poured the tofu mixture on top of the crust, the crust came up and mixed with the tofu mixture. So I am not really sure what I did wrong. I ended up using a 9x13 pan (it calls for a 10 in) and changed the servings accordingly so maybe I didnt use enough oil with the graham crackers. I dont know... other than that though it was great!!! I think if you took it to a party and didnt tell anyone it was tofu, they wouldnt notice!!

Stef

Re: Question about the crust for Heather or anyone who's made it new
      #331213 - 06/17/08 04:59 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I have made it and found the same thing with the crust that Heather has in her book. If you can tolerate it I buy the premade reduced fat grahm cracker pie crust in the grocery store. I am pretty sure the Keebler one is dairy free and it's not very high in fat. I found that works so much better!. HTH

#331214 - 06/17/08 05:14 PM
steffiejoy

Thats good to know! I saw the premade crusts in the store and was very close to buying one. I think I will next time!! Thanks!!

Stef

#334002 - 08/05/08 07:20 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

could someone please post the recipe if they have a spare minute? I'd love to try it! I'm missing cheesecake and I've got some tofu
Also, what's the difference between regular tofu and silken tofu? the stuff that I got is just 'organic tofu' will it work?
thanks so much
x

#334015 - 08/05/08 09:46 AM
steffiejoy

Hi seggy!

Ok, heres the wonderful recipe!

Crust:
8 graham crackers, finely crushed
1 tablespoon canola oil
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray 10 inch non-stick heavy gauge springform pan with cooking oil. Mix all crust ingredients together and press firmly into pan. Bake 4-5 minutes. Cool on rack

Filling:
Two 12.3 packages Silken tofu
1/3 cup fresh lemon (or lime or orange) juice
Grated rind from 2 lemons (or 4 limes or 1 orange)
4 organic egg whites
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3-3/4 cup granulated sugar, to taste

Raise oven temp to 350. Mix all ingredients together in blender at high speed until throughly combined. Do not use mixer, as recpie will not work using it. Slowly pour filling into cooled crust. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Pie will not set in the middle. Cool on rack and chill several hours or overnight. Carefully spread with fruit topping (optional) Chill until topping is set. Run a long thin knife around edge of pan and carefully remove sides. Serve chilled.

Summer fruit topping
2 cups fresh blueberries, pitted cherris, skinned/chopped apricots or peaches or raspberries
1/2 cup fresh lemon or orange juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch stirred together

Bring fruit and juice to a boil in saucepan or microwave. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Berries should pop, other fruit should start to disintegrate. Remove from heat and stir in sugar/cornstarch mixture. Fruit should thicken as you stir without further cooking. Spread over cooled cheesecake and chill until cold.

*I used blueberries and raspberries and it was wonderful!*
*I also didnt have a spring form 10 in pan so I used a regular 13x9 and adjusted accordingly.*
*As for silken vs regular tofu... I dont know I am thinking that silken tofu makes it creamier!*

GOOD LUCK!!

Stef

#335163 - 08/23/08 03:54 AM
seggy

hi so I've just got round to getting all the stuff together and I've got time to actually make it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the measurememnts of tofu... 12.3 packages? what are they in Grams? does anyone know? The pack that I have is 350g
thank you

#335164 - 08/23/08 08:19 AM
steffiejoy

I am pretty sure its 12.3 ounces
Hope that helps!

wow this is soo cool new
      #335181 - 08/24/08 05:50 AM
seggy

hi I made the cheesecake it was soooo nice!! Thank you

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7839

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review