All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Look what I found - ice cream recipes!
      #330883 - 06/10/08 11:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I just bought an ice cream maker and I've been poking around for ice cream recipes. I know Heather's Chocolate Silk Pudding is ice-creamable and I found some other ice cream recipes on the Board that look interesting, but I was sure I remembered my cousin making ice cream just using Jell-O pudding. I searched the Internet and ta-da:

Pudding Ice Cream

I'm going to buy a couple boxes of pistachio ice cream and try this tomorrow.

This whole Website looks wonderful. Sigh. A whole site devoted to non-dairy ice cream. I've already yearned over her Coffee Ice Cream. (I'll make it with decaf coffee of course.)

She also has info on how to make ice cream if you don't have an ice-cream maker:

How to make ice cream with no ice cream maker

Hurray for summer!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Look what I found - ice cream recipes! new
      #330899 - 06/10/08 05:15 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Oh wow Sand this looks so cool! Thank you for posting. I am going to steal my dad's ice cream maker because he never uses it!

#330966 - 06/11/08 02:09 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

My mom just bought me an icecream maker- it hasnt come yet. I really want to make sorbet!! But I looked at the blog and alot of the recipes have "arrowroot" in it.. whats arrowroot?

Stef

#330975 - 06/11/08 03:12 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Oh, Sand.
You are my new best friend!

I have been DREAMING of safe ice cream for YEARS! I can't wait to try some of the recipes on the website!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Arrowroot new
      #330976 - 06/11/08 03:43 PM
Sand

I'd heard of this before but never used it. The woman who runs the Website says :

Quote:

You could just try leaving the arrowroot out if you wanted. Or you could try thickening with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch, but add it while heating instead of at the end (mixed in with some soy milk).

Arrowroot is usually available at natural foods stores (I get mine in the bulk section). I have also heard you can find it at Indian grocery stores, but I haven't checked there.

She also has a FAQ post where she talks about using other thickening agents.

One of the commenters on the site says she does well with gelatin instead of arrowroot (here ).

And if you do find arrowroot, her General Guidelines post talks about how to work with it easily.

I'm just going to stick with the pudding ice cream for the time being. (I couldn't make this yesterday because our power went out but tomorrow...) I know she says it's not as yummy as fully home-made but it certainly looks easy - and there are lots of pudding flavors to try.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Arrowroot new
      #331002 - 06/12/08 05:43 AM
fancymom

I tell ya, Sand...
Another fabulous thickening agent that is totally safe is tapioca. I know that sounds wierd, but it tastes fabulous and it thickens nicely.

--------------------
FancyMom

#331004 - 06/12/08 05:48 AM
fancymom

Ok...I got to thinking. I know, Scary.
Anyway, doesn't the boxes of instant pudding have dried milk products in them? Maybe skim milk, or casein, or whey?

Just curious if anyone has a box and they can look at the ingredients. Thanks!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Some Jell-O Instant Puddings are dairy-free new
      #331005 - 06/12/08 06:36 AM
Sand

It depends on the flavor. In one of the comments to the original pudding ice cream post the site owner says pistachio is vegan which automatically means it's dairy-free. She also says butterscotch is not but since she doesn't say why not, it could contain dairy or it could contain something else vegans won't eat. You'll have to check the label for any flavor you're interested in.

Note that she's talking specifically about Jell-O brand pudding so you'd have to check the label for any other brand you want to use.

According to PETA the following flavors of Jell-O Instant Pudding are vegan: Pistachio, Banana Creme, Chocolate, Lemon, and Vanilla. (I have a box of Jell-O Instant French Vanilla - which may be what they mean by "Vanilla" - and it's dairy-free.)

Just remember that if a food is vegan it will be IBS-safe as far as triggers go but could still be too high in fat; you have to read the label for that.

Conversely, if a food is not vegan, it could still be IBS-safe since we can eat stuff (chicken, gelatin, etc.) that vegans won't eat. Again, you'll have to check the label.

HTH.

--------------------

The lemon is dairy free new
      #331007 - 06/12/08 07:00 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I posted a lemon cookie that I make with this about a month ago it made with ducan hine lemon cake mix. Yum! I thinking of trying the choclate this way maybe soon if I get brave engouh... hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Tapioca new
      #331016 - 06/12/08 08:39 AM
Sand

Ugh! I've always hated tapioca pudding. But I guess a little tapioca won't kill me. Would you substitute tapioca one for one for arrowroot?

--------------------

Re: Tapioca new
      #331026 - 06/12/08 10:54 AM
fancymom

Oooooo...
Not sure about that, since I've never actually used arrowroot.

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Tapioca new
      #331071 - 06/13/08 08:49 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

You can sub cornstarch for arrowroot, same amounts.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Pistachio Pudding Ice Cream new
      #331227 - 06/18/08 08:23 AM
Sand

I made the pistachio version - 2 packages of Jell-O Instant Pistachio Pudding and 3 cups of Silk. It churned for about 25 minutes and it's wonderful. It doesn't have the nice high-fat mouth feel of store-bought soy ice cream but it tastes so good I don't really care.

The ice cream was definitely soft-serve consistency when it came out of the ice cream maker. We ate some (of course) and I put the rest in a plastic container and stored it in the freezer. As the Website warned,it hardened to a rock-like consistency - it takes about 15 minutes out of the freezer for it to soften enough to scoop. Next time I think I'll store it in serving-size containers in the freezer rather than in one big container.

Next up - chocolate!

--------------------

#331479 - 06/23/08 09:35 PM
goodcop1

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: Hilton Head South Carolina

AS they say back in the old neighborhood, minga that was good. Thanks for the tip.

--------------------
"Thru Him with Him and in Him".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9607

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review