All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chicken recipes - subbing soy milk?
      #326128 - 03/05/08 01:35 PM
jonoma

Reged: 01/28/08
Loc: Michigan

These are a few recipes I'd like to try, but I wasn't sure if soy milk can be substituted in such large amounts (1-2 cups) without causing cooking quality issues. And is the amount of butter required (even when substituting safe margarine) too great? What's the limit on the amount of safe margarine you should use in a recipe? I'd really appreciate input!

Chicken/Turkey Tetrazzini
7 oz uncooked fettuccine or linguine noodles
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk (sub soy milk?)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional as topping)

Heat oven to 350. Cook and drain pasta. Mix broth, milk, flour, butter, salt and pepper in a 3qt saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

Stir in pasta and turkey. Spread in ungreased 2qt casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

{This used to be a favorite recipe in my family, but we haven't had it since I've revised my diet.)

Tammy's Chicken Rice Bake
2-3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup rice
1 1/8 cup milk (sub soy milk?)
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt OR 1 small clove minced garlic + 1/4 teaspoon salt
dash lemon pepper
dash black pepper
3/4 teaspoon dried chives OR 1 Tablespoon minced green onions
1 Tablespoon dried onions OR 2 Tablespoons fresh onions, chopped
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon

1. Grease a square 8-inch glass baking dish. Rinse chicken and lay in the bottom.

2. In mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients and mix well. Pour over chicken breasts.

3. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for about 90 minutes or until rice and chicken tests done.
[Recipe from www.tammysrecipes.com]

Farmhouse Chicken
4 tablespoons butter (sub safe marg - does this amount need to be reduced?)
4 tablespoons flour
2 cup milk (sub soy milk)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
4 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
12 ounce package of stuffing mix

1. Saute onion, and prepare stuffing mix according to package directions and set aside.

2. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and then add flour. Stir until bubbly, then cook one minute. Slowly add in milk, stirring continually to avoid lumps.

3. Add chicken, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-10 minutes, until chicken is done and celery is starting to get tender.

4. Pour mixture into an 8x8-inch casserole dish. Top with stuffing. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

(This recipe comes highly recommended. Everyone I know who has tried it loves it!)

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
A flavorful condensed cream of chicken soup base recipe for use in dishes that call for canned creamed soups

1 1/2 cups chicken broth*
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder**
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder***
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk (sub soy milk?)
3/4 cup flour

1. In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).

2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

Tammy's NOTES
*I use the broth from my oven-roasted chicken. Refrigerate broth and then take fat off the top. If you're using chicken bouillon + water for your broth, you may want to add a little extra seasonings, such as lemon pepper, extra garlic, or seasoned salt, since my broth normally has bits of those in it. You can also add bits of chicken, but if you have good rich chicken broth, you probably won't need any chicken in it.
**Or, diced onions (boil with broth for a few minutes)
***Or, fresh minced garlic (boil with broth for a few minutes)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chicken recipes - subbing soy milk? new
      #326133 - 03/05/08 01:50 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I tried to make an Alfredo sauce with soy milk once and it was a complete flop. However I didn't follow an exact recipe - I tried to make it up myself.

There is a cream of mushroom soup subsitute I came up with myself that turned out much better. I made it twice - once with regular soy milk and once with light soy milk - the regular soy milk turned out WAY better - the light was too thin and didn't have as much flavour. So if you are going to try these recipes, be sure not to use light soy as it may be too watery.

Soy milk definately does not have the same quality as milk when cooking. I think it has a higher water content or something as it doesn't thicken up nearly as well. You might want to try reducing the amounts a little, and adding more ONLY if the recipe becomes too thick.

As for the margaine, I would cut the amounts in half, and/or you could try substituting dry white cooking wine for extra flavour (the alcohol will cook out).

Good luck and let us know if you try any of these!

EDIT: The Chicken Rice Bake would probably be fine because you don't have to cook it/thicken it up first. It's just baked. I wouldn't hesitate to give that one a try!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (03/05/08 01:57 PM)

#326134 - 03/05/08 02:41 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I use light soy milk in all my recipes and it is fine. Although if something calls for cream/half-n-half I would think about useing the regular fat because it is thicker. I always use equal amounts of milk to soymilk.

I wonder if cutting the margarine in half would work because in some the recipes you are making a roux to thicken up the dish. I always thought you needed the same amount of fat vrs. flour. i.e. 2 TBSP fat & 2TBSP flour. Anything where you mix the flour and water together to make a paste would be to thicken also. You could always try to use a low fat margarine.

I can't tell you how much margarine would be safe in a recipe. I think it would depend on the recipe itself. If it has a number of other high fat ingredients. Maybe someone else can help.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#326135 - 03/05/08 03:02 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

I wonder if cutting the margarine in half would work because in some the recipes you are making a roux to thicken up the dish. I always thought you needed the same amount of fat vrs. flour. i.e. 2 TBSP fat & 2TBSP flour.

That could be why my Alfredo sauce turned out so crappy. I didn't use any margerine at all.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326144 - 03/05/08 07:10 PM

Unregistered

How about thickening with some corn starch or tummy fiber?

#326150 - 03/05/08 08:26 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Corn starch makes it gel like. That might work depending on the recipe. I don't know about the tummy fiber.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Update - tried Farmhouse Chicken with soy milk new
      #329551 - 05/08/08 04:26 PM
jonoma

Reged: 01/28/08
Loc: Michigan

I finally experimented and took a chance on making the Farmhouse Chicken with soy milk. Verdict? Delicious! I omitted butter from the stuffing preparation and used 4 T safe margarine to make a roux with flour and milk. It was very yummy (good comfort food!) and easy to tolerate. It also thickened up perfectly - I couldn't tell a difference from regular milk.

From the research I've done, you CAN indeed make a roux with little or no butter/margarine (i.e. fat free white sauce). You can even make it in the microwave!

So, the other recipes are on my list now, and I'm not as frightened that they'll fail! Let me know if you try them!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5078

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review