All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this recipe IBS safe?
      #324976 - 02/18/08 05:14 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey all, Ive never posted on this message board before. My question is about this recipe, I am sooo sick of plain ole chicken and this recipe sounds really good. The only thing that I cant tolerate is oil, so I am thinking the oil and the jalapeno pepper I would take out. Is this recipe IBS safe minus the oil and jalapeno? I am wondering if the orange juice is ok?? Maybe it would be because its cooked?? Thanks!!

Chicken Saute with Mango Sauce
4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (fat-free)
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1 mango, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or mint

1.)Trim visible fat from chicken breasts. Remove the tenders (the long thin flaps); reserve for another use (see Tip). Place trimmed chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow glass dish. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)

2.)Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.

3.)Add jalapeno, garlic and ginger to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and deglaze, scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute. Mix orange juice, brown sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring. Cook, stirring often, until thickened and slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Stir in mango and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Spoon over the chicken and sprinkle with cilantro (or mint).
Yield: 4 servings

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

yes new
      #324981 - 02/18/08 05:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For a flour dusted chicken recipe like this you have to use the oil. But 1 tablespoon for 4 breasts is acceptable with low fat sides. If you take the inside out of the jalapeno it should be safe. Otherwise the dish will have no flavor. The orange juice will depend on you. I think it is the iffiest thing in the recipe. Mango juice might work instead if the acid from the OJ would bother you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: yes new
      #324990 - 02/18/08 06:57 PM
steffiejoy

I was thinking that about the oil. What about pineapple juice instead of OJ? Would that work? Thanks!!

Stef

Another question new
      #324991 - 02/18/08 07:01 PM
steffiejoy

What oil do you use? Which oil is the safest for IBS? Thanks again!

canola or olive oil would be fine- nt new
      #325108 - 02/20/08 04:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Is this recipe IBS safe? new
      #344058 - 04/05/09 12:35 PM
Cheryl in Sarasota

Reged: 04/02/09

I made this last night and it was excellent. I ended up using just organic chickent tenders. I made it over cappellini pasta but rice would have been much better or even serve in on a sour dough roll. This is a keeper. thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review