All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NEW HERE & NEED 2 quick ideas/tips
      #324624 - 02/13/08 08:34 AM
Toris Mom

Reged: 02/13/08
Loc: USA

Hi everyone,I LOVE THIS SITE & I PROMISE To get around & see all there is too use. HOWEVER, My 13 yr old daughter is being treated (WE JUST FOUND OUT)for IBS & Im about to go out the door to the store to find her something for lunch to take to school. While Im there I will pick up pasta & potatoes for baking. My question is this what is quick & simple to top these things with. I hope you all dont want to reachout & smack me...I just dont have the time at this moment to go through ALL these wonderful food posts to find it. I promise I will eventually get through them! This looks to be a wonderful site & Im thinking of converting my whole family to this way of eating. Ok No pressure...Ill check back in a bit to see if some one has bailed me out ! Thanks so much in advance!!
glenna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEW HERE & NEED 2 quick ideas/tips new
      #324629 - 02/13/08 08:57 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi there! For lunches, I have sandwiches made with white sourdough bread, lean deli meat like chicken or turkey, dairy-free low-fat margarine and low-fat Miracle Whip. It seems to work for me! If she can tolerate fructose, then those little applesauce packs are good too. But there are some other options too. If she has access to a microwave she can try Amy's Dairy-Free Bean and Rice Burrito, and some of the Lean Cuisine meals are dairy-free, like the Chicken Teriyaki and some of the Spa varieties. If you go the frozen-meals route, just check the label for hidden dairy like whey, casein, and obviously "modified milk ingredients", which are very common in frozen meals.

Good luck! This will hopefully get you started but definitely come back for more ideas!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324632 - 02/13/08 09:08 AM
Toris Mom

Oh Praise God someone answered!!! Well those will be of help. We are not sure what the triggers are. They said to try treating this way for a few weeks & see. I feel like someone dropped me in the middle of the ocean on this one.. I feel so lost & overwhelmed. I want to cry. My hubby thinks her tummy trouble is due to the amount of meds she had when she had the flu. BUT she has not had any meds for over a week. Still suffering. No food since 7:30 lastnight & she was in the bathroom before school today...I JUST DONT GET IT??!!
ok sorry
anyone with topping suggestions for pasta or baked potatoe? I did see somewhere on here someone suggest tomatoe sauce on the side??

#324633 - 02/13/08 09:13 AM
Toris Mom

OH & Erilyn THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

#324635 - 02/13/08 09:21 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I definitely recommend buying or borrowing Heather's book, "Eating for IBS". It is very helpful, and a very quick read (only 37 pages – the rest is recipes). I started this diet back in November and I felt pretty overwhelmed at first, too, but after a couple of weeks I was getting the hang of it! I definitely feel for your daughter – I was diagnosed at 17 (I'm 29 now), but remember having symptoms from as early as 12 (I recall running off the softball field at summer camp praying I would get to the bathroom in time and wondering why this seemed to happen to me so much). When I was diagnosed the doctor gave me some pills (antispasmodics), told me to eat more fibre, and sent me on my way (the pills did NOT help, in fact they just ended up making me feel worse).

As for the pasta, I seem to do okay with a little tomato sauce. Other folks here like to sprinkle just a wee bit of olive oil on it, with some salt and pepper, and just eat it plain. For the baked potato, you could try some of the Tofutti brand soy sour cream – it actually is quite good – but go easy on it as it is fairly high in fat. I also like to mash my potatoes with a little bit of dairy-free, low-fat margarine and soy milk. It's good mashed with just chicken or vegetable broth, too!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324652 - 02/13/08 10:46 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Soup is always good like chicken soup. Chicken nuggets made with panko. Grham crakers, healty valley oat and honey bars. tuna sald chiken salad. Hope this helps
emmasmom
ibs-c

#324668 - 02/13/08 02:10 PM
Toris Mom

Thank you all so much . You have been a big help!!!
There is sooo much info here,what a great place & it looks like you all are GREAT support for one another too!!!
Tori suffered from these same symtoms from age 4-7 & then only once a year til now. Im sure its IBS & Im glad I have found THIS PLACE!!!
AGAIN THANK YOU!!!
gg

#324894 - 02/17/08 07:05 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I often need to carry my lunch for various reasons. I have two of those soft sided insulated lunch boxes and I use small ice blocks to keep things cold. I make "salads" from pasta & chicken with a small amount of cut up onion and celery with a little olive oil or safe mayo. Baked Potato or corn chips are good. Rice cakes are another option. Twice a week I either bake or grill two chicken breasts and use them to make rice and chicken, pasta and chicken, etc. for my lunches. The rice and chicken can be made very simply by cutting up one green onion and a small amount of celery cut very very thing, saute the veggies in 1 tsp or less of hot olive oil, cut up chicken and add to the veggies. Warm 2 cups of natural chicken broth (low sodium). Add 1 cup of cooked rice with the chicken & veggies along with poultry seasoning, celery salt and pepper to taste. This can be warmed and taken to school in a thermos or warmed in a microwave if one is available. It is a real pain at first to always bring your own food but it sure makes life easier and after a bit it becomes second nature.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#327676 - 04/02/08 09:20 AM
als2111

Reged: 03/30/08

i have two questions looking at these posts. is any kind of pasta noodles okay to use minus the whole wheat pastas? and we can have soup? like chicken and rice soup or only broths? I am still learning here!

Pasta; chicken broth new
      #327677 - 04/02/08 10:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

i have two questions looking at these posts. is any kind of pasta noodles okay to use minus the whole wheat pastas? and we can have soup? like chicken and rice soup or only broths? I am still learning here!

Any kind of dried non-whole-wheat pasta should be fine as your Soluble Fiber. You should do a quick check of the label to make sure there are no eggs in it but I've never found eggs in dried pasta. I'm not entirely sure about flavored ones like spinach and tomato - I don't like them so I've never checked them out. Fresh pastas - the kind you get in the refrigerator case - sometimes have egg in them so read the label very carefully on those.

Soups. The Campbell's soups I've seen have MSG in them which I simply cannot tolerate at all. There's a line of soups called "Imagine" which makes some safe soups - you could check those out. I don't care for them but some people on the Boards really like them. Broths, again, sometimes have MSG. Just be sure to read the label. I do fine with these

There are a lot of good soup recipes in the recipe index and a lot of them freeze well. And if you have the time, interest, and freezer space, you can even make your own chicken broth.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (04/02/08 10:54 AM)

Re: Pasta; chicken broth new
      #327708 - 04/03/08 09:17 AM
als2111

well when I looked at pasta at the store they all seemed to have egg listed in the ingredients??

#327717 - 04/03/08 11:43 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

That's odd. I've got Barilla and DeCecco brand on the shelf now and neither of them do. I've also bought Ronzoni brand and that's fine, too. What brand and pasta shape are you looking at?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#327755 - 04/03/08 11:43 PM
Sweetkakes

Reged: 12/07/07

Try some either fresh or dried rice noodles from an asian market. I have actually come to like them better than traditional wheat pasta. Oh, and I recently found a brand called FiberWise that is made with pea flour and is a mix of both insoluble and soluble fiber - it packs 12 g total fiber in a serving. They also have a website - just Google the name.

#327806 - 04/04/08 04:29 PM
als2111

huh? I guess I will look at those brands next time I am at the store I don't think I looked at Barilla. THanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10481

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review