All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What's around the house.
      #322660 - 01/18/08 07:39 PM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

I keep having to go to the store and back for ingredients for these recipes, and most don't even use a microwave oven.
What can I make with the following around the house items?

Frozen Blueberries
Bananas
Strawberries
Ice
Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter (smooth with peanut oil)
Soy Milk (non flavored)
Chatfield's Premium Cocoa Powder
Rice Krispies
Corn Flakes
Wonder Bread (white)
Yogurt (lowfat)
Life Cereal (plain)
Dole Pineapple Chunks
Eggbeaters
Peppermint Tea
Bottled Water

I think we might have some pears and apples left as well, but we have no pumpkin, ginger cloves, apricots, raspberries, tofu, cinnamon sticks, liquorish, or cheese cloths.

What is a cheese cloth anyway and where would one buy one?
For that matter, why would one buy one?

Correction: We have no pears.

Edited by Fatso (01/19/08 08:59 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's around the house. new
      #322670 - 01/18/08 09:19 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

Do you have a blender or food processor? You could make a smmoothie with the fruit and yogurt.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#322672 - 01/18/08 09:33 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

First do you have all the staples like flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, margarine, oil, oatmeal, sugar, bread? If you do there is a wealth of things you could make. If not I could only think of a few. Opps, I see bread.

Banana with pb smeared on it
apple/pb smear
smoothies
eggbeaters make good scrambled eggs
toast
pb & banana sandwiches
pb & apple sandwiches
egg sandwiches
hot chocolate
frozen yogurt pop
you could add fruit to your yogurt
add fruit to your cereal
omelets w/added fruit

I think cheese cloth is used for draining things. ie tofu, yogurt, cottage cheese.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#322689 - 01/19/08 08:27 AM
Fatso

Quote:

Do you have a blender or food processor? You could make a smmoothie with the fruit and yogurt.

We have both, and have been making strawberry/banana smoothies, but I'm wondering what else we can make.

Quote:

First do you have all the staples like flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, margarine, oil, oatmeal, sugar, bread? If you do there is a wealth of things you could make. If not I could only think of a few. Opps, I see bread.

Banana with pb smeared on it
apple/pb smear
smoothies
eggbeaters make good scrambled eggs
toast
pb & banana sandwiches
pb & apple sandwiches
egg sandwiches
hot chocolate
frozen yogurt pop
you could add fruit to your yogurt
add fruit to your cereal
omelets w/added fruit

I think cheese cloth is used for draining things. ie tofu, yogurt, cottage cheese.

I have a roommate who is a diabetic, so I didn't want sugar in the house (uses Splenda).
We go out to restaurants, so there's no need to cook with flour, but she may have a little bit stashed away "just in case", whatever that means.
I see the things we can make, but there's always one thing or another we don't have.

By the way, chocolate and caffeine were two of the top things on the bad list for IBS.
Why do you guys have chocolate recipes?

PS: We just bought Quaker Oats Oatmeal (small), and I think we have some table salt.
I didn't mean we'd never go to the store and pick up stuff, just I don't wanna keep going back and forth.

Note: If cooking is involved, it's best if it's microwaveble.

Edited by Fatso (01/19/08 09:07 AM)

#322697 - 01/19/08 09:47 AM
Fatso

You know I just remembered a few dishes from school, only I may have forgotten some stuff.

Peanut Butter Balls (holiday treats)

What you will need

A chopping board
A sheet of wax paper (large)
A pair of plastic gloves (more for kids)
A microwave oven (optional)
A knife (sharp for mom, dull for kids)
An egg timer for the kids (adult must supervise)
Cookie cutters (optional)
A sink (very messy)

Ingredients

Flour
Rice Krispies (for similar rice balls recipe)
Raisins (if desired)
Sugar or sweetener (brown sugar or cinnamon sugar as well)
Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter (with peanut oil)
Honey (I like Sue Bee)
Corn starch for thickness
Bottled Water
Egg white or mashed banana for center of ball

This recipe is meant for Jif Crunchy Peanut Butter and corn oil, but you can substitute smooth peanut butter and peanut oil.

Some people like it better with apple butter and margerine, but I digress:

Make this a family project the kids can take pride in.

Get a sheet of wax paper and place your chopping board on part of it.
Make sure to wash your hands and wear gloves before you handle the food (make sure kids do the same).
Take your pre-mashed banana and roll the banana meal in a ball (cut off excess banana), do the same with mashed potatoes if you use them.

Squeeze big glop of honey on the wax paper and roll the banana ball in it.
Lightly sprinkle with brown sugar on all sides and roll it some more in the honey.
The mixture of honey and brown sugar will start to congeal.

When firm, or semi firm, spread peanut butter on all sides.
You can mix in raisins if you want, but you must keep rolling.
Smooth each ball with peanut oil and heavily sprinkle with white sugar (optionally cinnamon sugar) and roll some more.
You can add unsweetened cocoa or vanilla flavoring if you want.

Tastes great on the holidays.
Now you can make the kids clean up.

If anyone knows this recipe, you can correct me.
I forgot where the flour and water comes in.

Edited by Fatso (01/19/08 01:22 PM)

#322699 - 01/19/08 10:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I have a roommate who is a diabetic, so I didn't want sugar in the house (uses Splenda).

Sugar is a staple for a lot of people following Heather's eating guidelines (the EFI Diet) because sweets help us think less about what we can't have and more about a treat to look forward to. It's certainly not necessary as long as you don't want to make desserts, cookies, and so on.

However, artificial sweeteners can be very hard on people with IBS so I'd approach Splenda very cautiously. Some people on the Boards swear by stevia. I've never tried it but you could do a Search across all Boards with no time limit and see what people have said about it. That might be an option for you - your roommate would have to ask her endocrinologist if it would be okay with her diabetes.

It sounds like you just don't cook so here are a couple of old posts that might give you some ideas for foods to eat that need little or no cooking:

No Cook 1

No Cook 2

Restaurants can be tricky until you're very clear on the EFI guidelines and know how to grill your server about what's in the food you're ordering. As for microwaves, I don't have one so I'm not sure how many recipes there are on the Boards for microwaveable stuff. You could try doing a Search on the Recipe Board with no time limit for the word microwave and see what pops up.

Quote:

By the way, chocolate and caffeine were two of the top things on the bad list for IBS. Why do you guys have chocolate recipes?

I'm a little confused about where you're getting this. Heather definitely lists caffeine as an irritant that is best avoided but chocolate is in a different category. Chocolate bars and a lot of store-bought and from-mix chocolate treats are high-fat and contain dairy. Since the EFI guidelines counsel keeping the percent of calories from fat down and prohibit dairy, that makes most treats like that a bad idea. However, the recipes on the Recipe Board and in Heather's cookbook mostly use cocoa powder to create relatively low-fat, dairy free chocolate foods. Some of the recipes do use chocolate chips and it is possible to find dairy-free chocolate chips. And some of the recipes are higher in fat than the EFI-prescribed 25% of calories from fat but if you consume them in small quantities after a low-fat, high SF meal, you should be okay with them. (Cocoa powder does have some caffeine but the amount is usually manageable when packaged with SF like flour in brownies, for example, or diluted with soy or rice milk in hot cocoa.)

You might find it helpful to read through the basics of Heather's EFI guidelines. The main page of the Boards has links you can follow to see the basics or you can check out this old post and follow the links in there:

The basics

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#322700 - 01/19/08 10:34 AM
MelanieR

Smoothie flavores-
Could pretty much add any of the fruits you have together to make great smoothies. You can add yogurt, ice, soymilk, pb, and even the cocoa powder to make many combos/varitey. If you add the cocoa powder you will probably have to add a sweetener of somesort. Maybe with the pb also.

--------------------

#322702 - 01/19/08 12:00 PM
Fatso

Quote:

Quote:

Sugar is a staple for a lot of people following Heather's eating guidelines (the EFI Diet) because sweets help us think less about what we can't have and more about a treat to look forward to. It's certainly not necessary as long as you don't want to make desserts, cookies, and so on.

However, artificial sweeteners can be very hard on people with IBS so I'd approach Splenda very cautiously. Some people on the Boards swear by stevia. I've never tried it but you could do a Search across all Boards with no time limit and see what people have said about it. That might be an option for you - your roommate would have to ask her endocrinologist if it would be okay with her diabetes.

It sounds like you just don't cook so here are a couple of old posts that might give you some ideas for foods to eat that need little or no cooking:

No Cook 1

No Cook 2

Restaurants can be tricky until you're very clear on the EFI guidelines and know how to grill your server about what's in the food you're ordering. As for microwaves, I don't have one so I'm not sure how many recipes there are on the Boards for microwaveable stuff. You could try doing a Search on the Recipe Board with no time limit for the word microwave and see what pops up.

Quote:

By the way, chocolate and caffeine were two of the top things on the bad list for IBS. Why do you guys have chocolate recipes?

I'm a little confused about where you're getting this. Heather definitely lists caffeine as an irritant that is best avoided but chocolate is in a different category. Chocolate bars and a lot of store-bought and from-mix chocolate treats are high-fat and contain dairy. Since the EFI guidelines counsel keeping the percent of calories from fat down and prohibit dairy, that makes most treats like that a bad idea. However, the recipes on the Recipe Board and in Heather's cookbook mostly use cocoa powder to create relatively low-fat, dairy free chocolate foods. Some of the recipes do use chocolate chips and it is possible to find dairy-free chocolate chips. And some of the recipes are higher in fat than the EFI-prescribed 25% of calories from fat but if you consume them in small quantities after a low-fat, high SF meal, you should be okay with them. (Cocoa powder does have some caffeine but the amount is usually manageable when packaged with SF like flour in brownies, for example, or diluted with soy or rice milk in hot cocoa.)

You might find it helpful to read through the basics of Heather's EFI guidelines. The main page of the Boards has links you can follow to see the basics or you can check out this old post and follow the links in there:

The basics

HTH.

Thanks, that will help a lot.
I just found this site and haven't even heard of IBS before, but it has much of the same symptoms as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), I thought the same foods (like chocolate) would apply.

By the way: Has anyone tried clementines before?
If you eat the slices in the peel, they are so sweet and juicy, it's hard to stop having them!

Clementines! (and IBD) new
      #322706 - 01/19/08 01:52 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I love clementines - I have a half-empty box sitting on the counter right now. They're IF, though, so be cautious. And I imagine the peel (which I never eat) is even more IF.

Here's a link that seems pretty clear about how IBS is different from IBD:

web page

The big thing to remember is that IBD is a disease: it is possible to run tests or do examinations and see something is wrong. IBS is a syndrome, a functional problem. Run all the tests you want and you won't actually see a problem. That doesn't mean it's not real or all in your head, it just means doctors can't literally see what the problem is (yet).

I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you've been diagnosed with IBD, you need to be sure you're getting good help for it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#322707 - 01/19/08 02:27 PM
MelanieR

Fatso,
Do you have crohns or UC? I have crohns. I was dx in 1998. This diet has helped me and many people with IBD follow it also.

--------------------

Re: Clementines! (and IBD) new
      #322739 - 01/19/08 11:12 PM
Fatso

Quote:

I love clementines - I have a half-empty box sitting on the counter right now. They're IF, though, so be cautious. And I imagine the peel (which I never eat) is even more IF.

Here's a link that seems pretty clear about how IBS is different from IBD:

web page

The big thing to remember is that IBD is a disease: it is possible to run tests or do examinations and see something is wrong. IBS is a syndrome, a functional problem. Run all the tests you want and you won't actually see a problem. That doesn't mean it's not real or all in your head, it just means doctors can't literally see what the problem is (yet).

I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you've been diagnosed with IBD, you need to be sure you're getting good help for it.

Actually I was diagnosed with gastritis which I'm sure is total B.S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7363

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review