All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
safe way to roast a turkey? how do you make your turkey?
      #321119 - 12/22/07 01:24 AM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

what is the safeist way to roast a turkey? just seasoning? or a bit of smart balence?

how do you make your turkey?

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe way to roast a turkey? how do you make your turkey? new
      #321127 - 12/22/07 01:23 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I tend to do a turkey breast in a bag, poor chicken broth over it, tyme, rosmary and cook it depending on weight, always comes out fine and super safe!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#321129 - 12/22/07 01:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you spray butter Pam on and season well with onions, garlic, herbs and orange/lemon in the middle it will get nice and brown and flavorful. I never baste because it only flavors the skin. I cook the turkey breast side down at first and flip over half way. I keep a probe in the thigh and pull out to rest at 168-170. You can ensure the breast and thigh get done at the same time by slashing the thigh in a couple places on each side. I usually brine my turkey but not always. A fresh turkey doesn't need brining like a thawed one does. I usually put some broth at the bottom of the pan and veggies on the rack to set the turkey on. I drain that, throw in freezer and skim off fat while turkey rests then I add that to a gravy base I make with more veggies, broth, herbs and the neck and cook while the turkey is cooking. I add a mix of cornstarch and water to that mixture (base and drippings) and cook until thick. I have someone else do this while I carve the turkey across the grain and place on a platter. Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#321389 - 12/31/07 02:37 PM
guinsell

Reged: 12/31/07

By far, a trash can turkey. Extremely easy, very tasty. You need: 1) a small metal trash can (about three feet high and maybe 18 inches in diameter) 2)Some sort of metal rod to hold the turkey. 3) Aluminum foil. 4) Charcoals. Put aluminum foil on the ground. Put a 10-12 pound turkey, suspended on a rod at a height above the ground, but below the height of the trashcan. I put a syrup cup on a 3 foot piece of rebar that I've pounded into the ground. I also put a bundt cake pan below the turkey to capture the juices. the syrup cup fits into the neck cavity and suspends the turkey. Put the trashcan upside down over the turkey and aluminum foil. Place charcoals that have been lit and are now not flaming, around and on top of the trashcan. About 2 1/2 or 3 hours later, the perfect turkey.

Here is a website with better instructions: http://www.herculesengines.com/Trash%20Can%20Turkey/Index.htm

Re: safe way to roast a turkey? how do you make your turkey? little minnie question new
      #350798 - 10/14/09 01:59 PM

Unregistered

ok I don't get how to do this,could u break it down,step by step cuz I got confused.Oh how exactly did u make the gravy with the turkey juice or fat? oh did u put the turkey in the oven cuz mine is going in this large dish with a lid..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5300

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review