All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Green bean casserole
      #321077 - 12/20/07 06:12 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I found this on the web.I don't lik it but i thought someone else maybe missing this!

Vegan Green Bean Casserole

2 quarts water
1 tablespoon table salt (Alanna says it's essential)
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces

Bring the water to boil in a large pot. While it's heating, cut up the beans. Add the salt and beans to the boiling water. Cover and cook for 6 minutes. Drain beans in a colander, and then spray for a minute with cold water to stop the cooking. Let them drain in the colander, shaking every now and then to get off all the water.

Sauce

10 ounces mushrooms (I used a combination of regular button mushrooms and shiitake)
3 cloves garlic, minced
generous pinch cayenne pepper (had to add it for the New Orleanians)
Salt to taste
Fresh pepper to taste
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup vegetable broth (I used Imagine's No-Chicken)
1 tablespoon dry sherry (Alanna's brilliant addition)
3/4 cup soy creamer (or try full-fat unsweetened soymilk)

Trim and discard the mushroom stems and chop the mushrooms into pieces. Spray a non-stick pan with canola oil and heat it. Add the mushrooms, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices. Whisk the flour into the vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms along with the sherry. Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens. Add the soy creamer and simmer until thick, about 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and stir in the beans.

Topping

1 1/2 slices whole grain bread
1 tablespoon Earth Balance margarine (the best tasting margarine in the world and no trans-fat)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 3-ounce can of French fried onions

Put the bread, margarine, salt, and pepper into a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Pour into a bowl and add the onions. Stir to combine.

To assemble:
Put the green beans into an oiled casserole dish and top with the onion mixture. Bake at 425 F for about 15 minutes. If you are not serving this right away, refrigerate the topping separately. Bring to room temperature before sprinkling the topping on the casserole and baking for about 20 minutes or until hot throughout.

emmasmom
ibs-c

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

if you guys want to experiment new
      #321090 - 12/21/07 06:25 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Here is my green bean casserole recipe:
Dairy free green bean casserole
green beans (1 bag frozen or fresh or about 2 cans or a little less) I prefer the frozen, french cut.
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic, minced
1 package cremini mushrooms, chopped
1T marg
1T flour
1c broth
1/2T dijon mustard
1/2t concentrated broth or bouillon
salt and pepper
1/2c reduced fat mayo such as Smart Balance
1/2c bread or cracker crumbs, Panko or 'fried' onions

Steam fresh or frozen beans until tender, drain. Set aside. Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until cooked, add margarine, melt, add flour, stir 1 minute, slowly add some broth while stirring, add the rest of the broth, add mustard and concentrate. Stir until thick and bubbly. In a casserole pan sprayed with cooking spray mix green beans, mushroom mixture, salt and pepper, and mayo. Top with crumbs, bake at 375 until browned on top and bubbly.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2109

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review