All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Dream whip
      #320060 - 12/04/07 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Dream whip does contain a small amount of Casein, but if that doesn't bother you, it works really well! It tastes great with soy milk and some vanilla. No one would guess it is soy milk. Make sure it is cold.
Now I can finally avoid the HFCS or aspartame in Cool Whip.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dream whip new
      #320093 - 12/05/07 08:24 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

OMG that's awesome! I never would have thought that something like Dream Whip might be safe. There is this chocolate trifle thing that I make for dessert during the holidays that calls for layers of Dream Whip - I was thinking I'd never be able to have it again!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#320100 - 12/05/07 10:20 AM

Unregistered

Since this is the recipe board would you mind sharing that trifle recipe???

Chocolate Trifle new
      #320109 - 12/05/07 12:19 PM
Erilyn

LOL!!

I'm at work so I don't actually have the recipe handy (I'll post the actual recipe tonight or tomorrow, if you like!), but it's actually really simple (I guess I should post the recipe anyway so that you can at least have the proper measurements and everything). It goes like this:

1. Bake one single-layer chocolate cake (or a two-layer cake, freezing the 2nd layer for future use). Actually, the chocolate angel-food cake would probably work well here! Cut the cake into bite-sized cubes. Drizzle with a small amount of Kahlua, Bailey's, or other liqueur (any liqueur will work), OR it you want to skip the alcohol, you could probably just drizzle with almond extract, or even peppermint extract, instead! Arrange HALF of the cubes in the bottom of a trifle dish.

2. Next, coarsely chop a large chocolate bar (this will have to be a dairy-free dark chocolate), and sprinkle half on top of the cake pieces. Or you could use semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chips for the sake of simplicity. The original recipe called for both white AND milk chocolate, but I assume white chocolate is probably not safe for us. Maybe you could mix chocolate and butterscotch chips?

3. Make Dream Whip with soy milk (thanks Minnie!), and top the cake/chocolate layer with half.

4. Finally, repeat steps 1-3 to make a total of 6 layers. Sprinkle a few remaining chocolate chips over top for decoration (I also like to sprinkle with coloured sugar, but the red and green turn blue and pink as they soak into the Dream Whip – lol).

This has always been a HUGE hit when I've made it in the past. Granted, I used milk and regular milk chocolate, but I'm sure this will still be very good.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Re: Chocolate Trifle new
      #320113 - 12/05/07 01:32 PM

Unregistered

Oh MY gosh, this sounds divine! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

sounds awesome! new
      #320125 - 12/05/07 03:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Bailey's would not be safe at all but amaretto or Grand Marnier or peppermint schnapps might work. The chocolate angel food cake would lighten it up and help balance the fat in the chocolate but then angel food cake is so sweet. The Dream Whip is pretty sweet too. However a really dark chocolate is not sweet. I hope I can find something to make this for! (just when I am trying to stay off sugar )

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: sounds awesome! new
      #320129 - 12/05/07 04:07 PM
Erilyn

Of course... Bailey's is CREAM. Duh!

I just remembered... there's supposed to be a layer of chocolate mousse in there too... Between the cake/chocolate and whipped cream... I don't suppose anyone has a recipe for dairy-free chocolate mousse...?

--------------------

Chocolate Mousse new
      #320130 - 12/05/07 04:19 PM
Erilyn

Okay, I went searching the net and found this (you could always omit the Amaretto). BTW, the comments are by the author, not me:

Amaretto-Spiked Vegan Chocolate Mousse

1/2 cup organic chocolate soy milk (for this recipe I like to use Vitasoy Rich Chocolate Soy Milk)
9 or 10 ounce bag of semisweet vegan chocolate chips (I've had good success with Tropical Source or Sunspire Brand all-natural brands, NOT carob chips)
12 ounces silken tofu
1/4 cup Amaretto or almond-flavored liquor
1/4 teaspoon natural pure almond extract (I use the Flavorganics Almond Extract for this recipe)

Pour the chocolate milk into a small pot and bring to a simmer. Remove the milk from heat and let cool a bit while you melt down the chocolate chips. You can melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or if you are like me, and don't own a double-boiler, you can cobble one together using a tiny saucepan set under a larger mixing bowl. Fill the tiny saucepan with an inch or two of water and bring barely to a simmer - place the big mixing bowl with the chocolate chips on top of the tiny saucepan and let the heat come up and gently warm the chips while you stir occasionally until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Add the soy milk and silken tofu to the melted chocolate chips. Process with a hand or regular blender until completely smooth. Stir in the Amaretto and almond extract. Taste and adjust for flavor, adding a bit more extract if needed.
Chill in the big bowl (or in individual bowls) for at least 1 1/2 hours, the longer the better. The pudding will set up nicely as it cools.
Makes 6 decadent servings.

--------------------

#320158 - 12/06/07 06:37 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Where would you get dream whip? It is with the whipped cream/cool whip?

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#320183 - 12/06/07 11:31 AM
Erilyn

I've always found it in the baking aisle near the cake mixes and such!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review