All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Egg Beaters vs. egg whites
      #318586 - 11/14/07 07:58 AM
JennyP

Reged: 11/09/07

Hi! I'm new here, and a newbie to the diet, although not a newbie to IBS.

This is kind of a silly question, but...
When I was shopping last week for diet food, I looked at Egg Beaters and discovered that they're full of spices. I ended up buying egg whites (packaged like Egg Beaters) to use in my muffins, because I was kind of squicked out by the thought of onion powder in applesauce muffins. Does anyone actually use the regular Egg Beaters for everything and does it turn out okay? I'd rather not buy two separate packages. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Egg Beaters vs. egg whites new
      #318605 - 11/14/07 10:32 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

In the Egg Beater carton, it does not matter if you buy the "original" (which are yellow in color) or "white" they are both really whites. But for baking, avoid the ones with onion, peppers, cheese etc. There are a lot of varieties and other brands out there now.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#318615 - 11/14/07 11:02 AM
JennyP

Oh yes, I was talking about the original flavor--the "yellow" whites. Along with all the gums and whatnot were the spices.

I didn't even look at the other types, even though I noticed them. I'm endlessly amazed at the innovations in convenience foods!

#318627 - 11/14/07 12:03 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I use regular Egg Beaters in most of my baking. I haven't noticed any weird flavors -- not even in the sweeter quick breads.

#318628 - 11/14/07 12:25 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Quote:

I use regular Egg Beaters in most of my baking. I haven't noticed any weird flavors -- not even in the sweeter quick breads.

Same here.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#318651 - 11/14/07 04:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have been wanting to tell Egg Beaters to make a formula for baking for a long time. I have never noticed anything taste bad when using them but it would be better to not have onion and garlic in there! They make 'Just Whites' too but you might as well use regular egg whites out of the shell then. I like the egginess of egg beaters. Anyway we should all tell them it would be a fabulous idea to come out with a baking specific Egg Beaters!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#318654 - 11/14/07 04:46 PM
JennyP

Thank you all; you've been very helpful.

I'll give it a go, and I'll try not to think about onion and garlic in my chocolate goodies!

#318758 - 11/15/07 01:00 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

HUM..... I never noticed the "spices" before.... I looked when I was at the store last night.... sure enough!! But, I've never noticed it in baking.....

Quote:

Oh yes, I was talking about the original flavor--the "yellow" whites. Along with all the gums and whatnot were the spices.

I didn't even look at the other types, even though I noticed them. I'm endlessly amazed at the innovations in convenience foods!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review