All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chocolate Question
      #316422 - 10/11/07 08:07 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

So.. In an attempt at being good and not cheating.. I really really want something chocolatey but right now, even the smallest amount will make me ill so my question is, what is it about chocolate that makes it a trigger?

Considering I'm not doing well with it right now, would it be a bad idea to drink chocolate rice dream? Would the same things that makes chocolate a trigger in the first place be in the rice dream milk?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chocolate Question new
      #316426 - 10/11/07 08:38 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hard chocolate is a digestive stimulant, kinda like coffee. It's great at stimulating the digestive system in normal people, but in IBS can cause too much pain and cramping.

Cocoa powder however is safe. I eat tons of chocolaty things made with cocoa powder. Chocolate almond milk is my favorite (chocolate rice milk would be similar) and is very easy on the stomach. Try warming it up for some nice hot cocoa.

Also, cocoa in baked products is safe, just make sure the other ingredients are. Lots of recipes on here for brownies and cakes. Heather's peppermint fudge cake is so far my favorite.

If you find cocoa products are still bothering you then maybe you have an intolerance to cocoa itself. Do you only notice problems with hard chocolate?

--------------------
Kat

#316427 - 10/11/07 08:46 AM
Dajara

Well.. That's kinda where it gets complicated.. For a long time I could eat anything.. Lately I have been dealing with some stressors and now I can't handle alot of things.. I was eatting alot of cheese and chocolate bars and other such junky things.

I started to get sick so I cut out the dairy and cut down the chocolate.. I had a little halloween size package of M&Ms and got really sick. So I stopped eatting all triggers completly but after a week tried 2 chocolate chip cookies on the weekend and got exceptionally ill which is funny since a month ago I could eat as much as I wanted..

So I don't know what it is.. I would assume it's hard chocolate?

I'll have to start doing my hypno tapes again to get back on track but in the meantime I wanted hot chocolate so I thought about trying the rice dream stuff

#316430 - 10/11/07 09:30 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Yeah definitely sounds like hard chocolate is giving you the problems (also maybe coupled with high-fat content). I'd say warm up a nice glass of chocolate rice milk and enjoy. Keep the hard chocolate for more stable times.

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. Hope you start feeling some relief soon..

--------------------
Kat

#316431 - 10/11/07 09:40 AM
Dajara

Thank you.. I apreciate your responses..
I'm trying to look at it in a more positive way, yes I like eatting junk but this gives me much more conviction to eating healthier.. I mean really, in the long run, it's not a bad thing persay that I can't eat high fat foods or high fat diary products and junk and chocolate and such if I can find more healthy replacements.. So I suppose it's not all bad... right?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review