All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eli's Asian Salmon (Barefoot Contessa)
      #315770 - 09/30/07 10:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is very good and a different take on salmon. To make this for just 2 people (3/4 pound of salmon) I used 1/3 the amounts given in the recipe. I served this with plain basmati rice.

I've put notes on possible substitutions at the end of the recipe.

Eli's Asian Salmon
Copyright 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved
Show: Barefoot Contessa; Episode: Going, Going, Gone

Yield: 5 servings

2 1/4 pounds center-cut salmon fillet (1 1/2 inches thick)
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar {see note at end for substitutes}
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce {see note at end for substitutes}
1 tablespoon fish sauce {see note at end for substitutes}
1 tablespoon toasted (dark) sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chili paste {I subbed crushed red pepper flakes - 1/3 as much, so 1/2 teaspoon}
1/2 cup sliced scallions (2 scallions)
2 tablespoons minced garlic (8 large cloves)
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

Line an 8 by 12-inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Place the salmon in the pan.

In a mixing cup, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, lemon juice, oyster sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, scallions, garlic, and ginger.
Pour 1/3 of soy sauce mixture over the salmon fillet.
Sprinkle the panko evenly over the fillet.
Pour the rest of the soy sauce mixture evenly over the panko. Be sure to soak the panko completely and if any runs off, spoon back onto the salmon.
Set aside for 15 minutes, leaving all the sauce in the pan.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Roast the salmon for 18 to 20 minutes, or for about 12 minutes per inch at the thickest part of the salmon. The internal temperature will be 120 degrees F on a meat thermometer when it's done. Remove from the oven, wrap tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Other Recipes from this Episode
Blueberry Sauce
Crunchy Noodle Salad
Lemon Yogurt Cake

web page
© 2007 Scripps Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Alida Saxon says:
Rice vinegar can be replaced with sake, white wine, white wine vinegar, white vinegar, and I think even apple cider vinegar would be fine too. I've personally substituted with everything but the apple cider vinegar. Lately I've been using up a so-so bottle of sake as a vinegar substitute.
web page

However, I've seen other Websites that say to avoid using apple cider vinegar as a substitute for rice vinegar. I had rice vinegar, so I did not have to substitute.

The substitute for both fish sauce and oyster sauce is soy sauce, replaced one for one. However, I think that if you don't have fish sauce and/or oyster sauce, you should just skip them rather than substituting. I substituted soy sauce for both of these and the marinade came out saltier than I would have liked.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eli's Asian Salmon (Barefoot Contessa) new
      #356002 - 02/21/10 12:56 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've discovered that this is a lot easier to make if I mix together all the sauce ingredients (soy sauce through ginger) then stir in the Panko crumbs to soak up the sauce. I then put the resulting crust mixture on top of the salmon. That works much better than trying to put the crumbs on the salmon and then soak them with the sauce.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review