Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
pumpkin!
      #315399 - 09/21/07 11:57 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi everyone!
well I'm VERY excited cos I bought(meaning I put in basket and dad payed for) a pumpkin today yay
so.... the thing is I am English. We don't do the whole cooking pumpkin in England much to my knowledge so I have no idea what I do with it. But since being on the boards with some american recipes I've become curious.
I want to make pumpkin cake and depending on quantities some soup too.
I have cooked pumpkin before and it was pretty tasteless as soup really so I think I must have done it wrong some how.
I've looked through some recipes and they ask for 'canned pumpkin' which I honestly didn't know existed lol
can anyone help me out? the one I've got is about 2 and a bit kg
thanks in advance!
Vicky

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pumpkin! new
      #315430 - 09/22/07 01:18 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've never attempted a real, live pumpkin (it's the cans for me) but I found this Website.

web page

She's talking about making a pumpkin pie from a pumpkin but I would think her instructions for getting the pumpkin cooked, out of the skin, and pureed would work as a start on any pumpkin recipe that calls for canned pumpkin.

If you don't have a microwave (I don't) Fanny Farmer says to cut the pumpkin into large chunks with skin left on (be sure to scrape out the seeds and stringy stuff as described in the Website), place the pieces on a steamer rack over boiling water in a large pan, cover, and steam for 30-45 minutes (for 2 pounds of pumpkin). Start checking for doneness after 30 minutes. Remove when the interior is soft and cut, spoon, or scrape the pulp from the skin. Then proceed to puree as described in the Website.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (09/22/07 01:19 PM)

Re: pumpkin! new
      #315441 - 09/22/07 05:30 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hello!
I lived in England last year while getting my MA degree and when autumn came around I was shocked to find out there was no canned pumpkin...so I made pumpkin apple bread from scratch...which was tough, but I posted about it. Here is my post...I hope it helps you somewhat!!

Hi folks!
SO my favorite thing in the entire world is the pumpkin apple bread... but here in England, it's a bit more difficult. I did all of the conversions and adaptations, so I figured I would post what I did in case any other people in Britain would like to have it!

Items Needed:
24 ounces flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp salt
24 ounces sugar
15 ounces pumkin *NOTE
8 egg white
4 ounces vegetable oil
4 ounces applesauce *NOTE
4 ounces apple juice (I used cran-rasp b/c it was all I had, and it worked well!)
2 small apples, diced

Preheat oven to 175 C
NOTE: There is no canned pumpkin over here! SO I used a whole pumpkin, and it worked well! Take the pumpkin, cut it in half, put flesh side down on baking sheet with a small amount of water. Cook until soft--took almost 2 hours for me
As for applesauce, I couldn't find a big container of that either, so I made some easily by dicing 5 small apples and boiling them until soft.

Combine dry and wet ingredients separately, mix together, add apples.

Bake in oven until golden brown and delicious!

Hope this helps someone...b/c I spent almost ALL day on this silly recipe! But boy is it yummy!!

--------------------
IBS-A

awww thanks so much! so helpful -nt new
      #315452 - 09/23/07 04:46 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review