All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
trace of milk/ made on same equipment with milk
      #313260 - 08/15/07 05:50 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

when packages say "may contain traces of milk" or "made on shared equipment" is this an issue? i know when i thought i was celiac it was a big issue because the teeeeeniest amount of gluten can cause an attack.. but what about milk and ibs.. if it's a trace or same equipment.. are we ok? i hate being sooooo obsessed with labels and walking out of the store with hardly anything in my cart...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: trace of milk/ made on same equipment with milk new
      #313268 - 08/15/07 08:27 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I personally have not had problems with dairy trace or things made on the same equipment, but I don't know if that's unilaterally true for everyone.

I know what you mean about being obsessed with labels. I am now to the point where I don't read every single one, but I do when I'm buying something new to me. If it's got anything related to beef or dairy in the first half of the ingredients list, I tend to avoid it. If dairy's near the bottom of the list, I will sometimes buy it. But that's just me.

#313314 - 08/15/07 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

When it says trace I don't worry about it. If it has a small amount of nonfat dairy product I might be lenient too. But I never buy anything that actually has dairy in a greater amount.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#313343 - 08/16/07 05:54 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I hate to be a pain in the @$$ but what would qualify as a small amount of nonfat dairy product?

man.. right now i could really go for some mint chocolate chip ice cream...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

"ice cream" new
      #313351 - 08/16/07 07:35 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Pud,
On the recipe exchange there are two recipes that might do. The first is Mint Sorbet- you could just add some chocolate chips. And Vanilla Soy Ice Cream- same you could add some chocolate chips and some peppermint/mint extract. Also in Heathers book Eating for IBS there is a recipe for Chocolate Chip Peppermint Ice Dream Sandwiches. You could just make the Ice Dream and not the Sandwiche part.
I am extremely sensitive to dairy. Even a little sends me into the bathroom (and messes up the entire day.) So I stay away. Most of the time it is so hard to wait for something I really want badly but it is worth it.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#313382 - 08/16/07 11:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I will eat foods that list casein or whey (both dairy proteins) provided they're not in, say, the first 4 or 5 ingredients listed. (Ingredients are listed on food labels in quantity order.) If the ingredient label says something like "Contains less than 2% of" (fill in any dairy product), I'm okay with that. If the food label specifically says "trace" or "made on same equipment", I'm okay with that. If the ingredient list contains 12 ingredients and the last one is actually milk, I'm okay with that. A good example is Cool Whip Light which contains less than 2% of caseinate:

web page

Having said that, however, I avoided any dairy in foods like the plague until I was pretty well stabilized. So if you're still getting your tummy in order, I'd stay away from all of it except the ones that say "made on same equipment".

And if you don't want to have to worry about the "nonfat" part of "nonfat dairy product", just be sure to carefully check the percent of calories from fat for the product as a whole.

As for ice cream, there are soy and rice-based ice creams in a huge variety of flavors. A while back I got very serious about ice cream shopping and put together the information at the bottom of this post:
web page

Just remember that the soy and rice ice creams are still high in fat, so stick to a small serving after a low-fat, high soluble fiber meal.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#313402 - 08/16/07 07:19 PM
Little Minnie

Well the little bit in cake mix is an example. "Flavor" on the end of a list might include butter. Nonfat milk listed at the very end of a list. I also sometimes eat sherbet which is fat free but has whey and it isn't something I should eat. The more things we are strict on the better our bodies will accept the accidental things that sneak into the diet.
Oh another small dairy thing is that trace of dairy in dark chocolate. I sometimes have a square after a meal.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#313403 - 08/16/07 07:21 PM
Little Minnie

Well said.
I don't even really like ice cream anymore. It tastes so greasy to me. I do still love cheese though- all of it but especially fancy cheese and it is something I still have to work to avoid. Otherwise after 3.5 years I don't crave ice cream or milk or cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt or dips- just cheese.

--------------------

#313406 - 08/16/07 09:46 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Me too! I still miss cheese, even though I haven't had any in about ten years. The cheese alternatives just don't taste right and the ones that do contain casein, which doesn't agree with me. Not a lot of variety in the fake cheeses either.

#313408 - 08/16/07 09:48 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't had problems when it's only a trace amount. I think that warning's there for people with allergies, not intolerances such as those associated with IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review