All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When can you substitute almond or rice milk instead of soy?
      #312975 - 08/10/07 09:06 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I know I've seen posts on this, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I thought I was OK with soy. Baking with it didn't seem to bother me. However, I have definitely come to realize that cooking with it does. I made rice pudding and the butternut squash sauce in Heather's book and have reacted badly to both. Not just gas but D. I know I've read that almond and rice milk don't always work the same as soy.

Any tips as to when it has worked to substitute, and when it's failed, what has happened? Just didn't taste cook? Consistency wasn't right?? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When can you substitute almond or rice milk instead of soy? new
      #312978 - 08/10/07 09:57 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

The only thing that I have noticed is that when cooking I don't like to use the soymilk that has vanilla in it. I always go for the regular-low fat.(For baking either is fine but you might want to add a little vanilla extract.) Lets say your making soup, most aren't sweet, so if you added soymilk with vanilla it would throw off the taste. I have used soymilk for making rice pudding many times and it has always turned out ok for me. In the begining, when I first started using soymilk I didn't like the taste. I got used to it because it was better than getting sick. Is it possiable that you could have reacted badly to something else in your recipes? Hope this was of some help.

I dont use almond/rice milk so I cant add any info on that.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#312983 - 08/10/07 10:42 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I appreciate the advice, but I defintely am reacting to the soy. When I made the rice pudding, it was just plain white rice, sugar, cocoa and soy milk. It was the first time I had soy milk in a large quantity. Probably a 1/2 c. in the serving I ate and had the same reaction when I had my second serving two days later. I've also noticed when I eat more than a little of the soy ice cream, I react.

Just trying to figure out what else will work. Thanks.

#312990 - 08/10/07 12:33 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I completely misunderstood what you were asking for. As I reread you question It all became clear. HA HA Hope you get your soon.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#312991 - 08/10/07 01:10 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I use Almond Breeze original unsweetened in just about everything that calls for soy milk or real milk. It's always worked well for me for both baking and cooking (soups and sauces). I also find it much gentler on the stomach than soy milk.

Goodluck!

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3417

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review