All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Roasted Shrimp with Thousand Island Dressing
      #312295 - 07/30/07 06:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is a Barefoot Contessa recipe. The shrimp by themselves are delicious so if the Thousand Island Dipping Sauce doesn't sound good to you, just try the shrimp by themselves.

With 1/2 pound of shrimp at 240 calories and 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil at 60 calories, the shrimp are right at 25% of calories from fat. Serve with a nice crusty bread to bring the fat percentage down even further - it's great for mopping up the juices. The percent of calories from fat in the Dressing depends entirely on the percent of calories from fat in your mayonnaise.

I watched the episode where she made this and she said it would serve 2 as a hearty appetizer. I make a full pound of shrimp and double everything that goes on the shrimp and serve it as dinner. The Dressing makes way more than enough as is - no doubling necessary.

Roasted Shrimp with Thousand Island Dressing
Copyright, 2006, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Ina's Take-Out

1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon minced capers
1 teaspoon minced gherkins
1 tablespoon sweet pickles
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the shrimp on a sheet pan and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Pour the olive oil and juice over the shrimp, and roast in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes. {I cook it a little longer, more like 7-10 minutes.}

{In the show she mixed the shrimp, salt, pepper, oil, and lemon in a bowl, then turned it out onto a sheet pan which is much easier.}

For the dressing, place the mayonnaise, ketchup, capers, gherkins, sweet pickles, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl, and stir until blended. Serve with the roasted shrimp.

web page {Avert your eyes from the Pecan Squares. They're practically the definition of Not IBS Safe.}

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (07/30/07 06:16 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Roasted Shrimp with Thousand Island Dressing new
      #312297 - 07/30/07 07:01 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sand, do you ever use frozen shrimp? If so, how do you go about defrosting them? I bought some but it didn't have any directions.

#312343 - 07/31/07 05:00 PM
Sand

It's funny. I used to be insistent that I wouldn't eat shrimp that had been frozen. Eventually, though, all the stores that sold unfrozen shrimp turned out to actually be selling frozen shrimp that they had thawed, so I figured I'd make my life easier and just buy the frozen stuff myself. Now it's rare for me to buy unfrozen shrimp. (Fascinating, I know.)

Anyhow. If I remember the frozen shrimp go in the refrigerator in their package the night before I plan to eat them and they're perfectly thawed by the time I'm ready to cook them.

If I don't remember, then if I'm going to boil them or cook them in a sauce (like scampi) I just put them in frozen and cook for an extra 2-3 minutes.

For something like the Roasted Shrimp or grilled shrimp, I would have to defrost them fast first. I've never done this mostly because there seem to be two conflicting schools of thought on how to do it:

1 - Remove shrimp from package, put in colander, run under cold water for a few minutes, then let stand for a few more minutes to thaw. I can't find the reference now but somewhere I read no more than 8 minutes.

2 - Leave shrimp in water-tight bag and thaw either under cold running water or by soaking in cold water making sure to check the water often to be sure it stays cold.

I'd try the loose-shrimp in colander under running water method myself just being sure to keep a close eye on the shrimp. They really shouldn't take long at all to thaw enough to roast or grill.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thank you so much, Sand! (m) new
      #312357 - 07/31/07 08:25 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm printing this out and keeping it in one of my cookbooks! You've been a great help. Thanks again!

#312470 - 08/02/07 01:18 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Oh shrimp is my favorite. I could eat it at every meal. I'm really looking foward to trying this, but what is gherkins?

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#312471 - 08/02/07 01:25 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Gherkins are tiny sweet pickles.....CMB

#312473 - 08/02/07 01:30 PM
MelanieR

Thanks. Are they canned?

--------------------

Gherkins new
      #312481 - 08/02/07 03:56 PM
Sand

In a jar - you should find them on the grocery store aisle with all the other pickles. You can use regular size, midget, baby, whatever you can find.

The recipe is actually a little confusing because as far as I'm concerned gherkins are the same as sweet pickles. So I assume she wanted chopped gherkins when she said "gherkins" and sweet pickle relish when she said "sweet pickles". And you can skip the capers - I did.

Here's a photo:

web page

--------------------

Edited by Sand (08/02/07 03:59 PM)

Re: Gherkins new
      #312564 - 08/04/07 09:19 AM
MelanieR

Hey thanks. You were a big help.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 529 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review