All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dumb question?!
      #311505 - 07/18/07 12:48 PM
barbiepink

Reged: 07/18/07

This is prob a dumb question but if I am going to use original recipes how do I make them IBS friendly?? I know to go by the cheat sheet but what are some other ways you change recipes up! Do you choose low fat recipes or what?? I cook alot and am ready to start cooking where I can eat and not get sick! Hope that wasn't a dumb question!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dumb question?! new
      #311525 - 07/18/07 03:46 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I think it's a good idea to start with recipes that are fairly similar to IBS safe ones and then as you get better and better at substituting stuff and learning what works you can take harder recipes and try to adapt them.

The usual stuff (which is on the cheat sheet I believe) is to take 2 egg whites instead of a whole egg, oat-, rice- or soymilk instead of milk, replace most of the oil in cakes with applesauce et.c. You can use corn starch and oat-, rice- or soymilk to make sauces a little thicker. If you have specific foods you can't tolerate that are in the recipe like onions et.c. try replacing them with a veggie you can handle. Not sure if you have problems with cooked tomatoes as that is more common in people with reflux than in people with "just" IBS, but I do, and I try to use a small amount of tomato puree for taste instead of canned tomatoes et.c. since you need such a small amount of puree to get a lot of taste and it's less acidic. It works for me. Sure there are many people who have more suggestions.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

P S Cooking sure is a lot more fun if you think you can eat what you're making without problems.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review