All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Protein suggestions...
      #310769 - 07/09/07 10:49 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Over the past few weeks I've grown completely intolerant turkey and chicken. It doesn't really bother me physically, just can't stand the thought of eating anymore. Other than peanut butter (which I love) what else can I eat to get some protein. I'm also trying to figure out how to get more calcium. My dad has osteoporosis and I've been getting lectures from him about making sure I take a calcium supplement. I can only tolerate children's vitamins so trying to figure out another source. Any ideas would be great!!

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein suggestions... new
      #310770 - 07/09/07 10:58 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Fish and seafood? If you use frozen fish fillets cooking fish is pretty quick and easy.

I have just yesterday started to use soy protein powder when I make smoothies to make it easy to get a bit of protein with my snacks since I mainly use oat and rice milk which do not contain a lot of protein. It seems to work. At least it seems I haven't had any reaction to it.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310772 - 07/09/07 11:35 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I also am trying to get more protein in my diet. I have grown tired of chicken too, even fish doesn't taste good anymore! But I have started to eat more nuts.

When I make veggie stir fry, I add almonds or walnuts. Cooking the nuts with the veggies in my wok works really well. I think that almonds contain some calcium as well.

I also drink a lot of Silk Soy Milk, that has protein and calcium, and I think it tastes great.

Hope this helps some!

#310776 - 07/09/07 11:52 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Back again, I just remembered a few more ways to get protein.

The Odwalla company makes Soy Protein drinks and some of the Odwalla Bars pack a lot of protein as well, all dairy free of course, but also contain calcium as well. Here is a list:

Super Protein Vanilla Al'Mondo Drink 18g soy protein per bottle

Super Protein Chocolate Soy Milk Drink 18g soy protien per bottle

Odwalla Bars:

Chocolate Chip Peanut
Choco-Walla, this is almonds and chocolate (delicious!)
Super Protein 16g per bar

The Odwalla company is great, and I was just looking at their website odwalla.com and saw they have 3 more new drinks called Soy Smart which sound great as well. You should check out their site if you are interested. I really enjoy their products, I think they taste great and at the same time provide my body with awesome nutrition.

Hope this helps!

#310779 - 07/09/07 12:35 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Egg whites are a great source of protein. You can hard boil eggs and just eat the white. Or buy egg beaters, which are egg whites with added nutrients (they also have just plain egg whites if you don't want the nutrients). Make scrambled eggs, omelets, etc. You can use egg beaters in baking too in place of eggs.

I also use an egg white protein powder (the brand is "Healthy N' Fit"). It comes in vanilla and chocolate, and is sweetened with Stevia. I use the vanilla and mix up half a scoop in my almond milk in the morning and it tastes great! You can also use it in smoothies. I haven't had much luck baking with it however, things come out too "eggy". Same problem when I tried it in my oatmeal (either that or it was the vanilla flavoring - maybe it didn't go with the blueberries).

I have problems with soy, so my protein comes from chicken, fish, egg whites, and vegetable sources.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#310805 - 07/09/07 04:23 PM
blackrvn5

Thanks for the suggestions. I've basically gone Vegan so the fish and eggs are out and I don't tolerate soy products too well. I'm trying to add a little back in to see if small quantities are ok. Had BBQ tofu kabobs tonight...so far so good. I'll have to try using more nuts. Adding those to stir-fry sounds yummy.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#310830 - 07/10/07 03:41 AM
blackrvn5

The soy protein powder doesn't bother like regular soy products? If not I'll have to try it.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#310833 - 07/10/07 04:58 AM
Ulrika

As I have understood it the thing that causes problems with soy is in general the type of sugar it contains. (This is what can cause bloating and gas in some people when they eat soy or other beans.) However the protein powder is pure isolated soy protein so unless you have a specific intolerance to soy protein it should be fine. I tried it with my smoothie both Sunday and Monday and have had no problems thus far. Another good thing with soy protein powder is that it doesn't really have any taste in itself so therefore most soy protein powders are pure, with no added sweeteners or flavors. Do check that if you want to try one though.

If you just want to use it for snacks et.c. then it lasts quite long since you only need a few grams for snack typically. The serving size given on the container is very large and suitable for people who do a lot of weight training for example or if you really need to use it as one of your main protein sources.

The powder can be used in smoothies and other types of drinks of course but it can also be used in cooking and baking to increase the protein intake.

Hope you can tolerate it.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310837 - 07/10/07 05:50 AM
ElenaDragon

Soy protein powder gave me a major migraine when I tried it. After that I discovered that soy can be a migraine trigger for those prone to them. When I started paying more attention to soy, I noticed that eating soy was giving me gas, making me feel sleepy, and just generally not making me feel well. I don't know if it is a mild allergy or an intolerance or what (have not been tested yet).

Everyone is different, so you may be just fine with soy protein powder. I would just suggest that you try it in a small amount first, and don't go out and buy 2 pounds of the stuff unless you know you're okay with it.

--------------------
Lisa

quinoa! new
      #310841 - 07/10/07 06:19 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

by it in some supermarkets and health food shops you can do a search for recipes on the net I tried quinoa pudding that was nice

#310862 - 07/10/07 11:44 AM
Ulrika

I just read that phenylalanine which is one of the amino acids in soy protein could cause migraine but that is mainly if you're sensitive and/or consume large amounts of protein supplements (not just limited to soy).

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310865 - 07/10/07 12:10 PM
blackrvn5

I'll have to try some and see if it works. I used to only get migrains at that time of the month, but now that I've elimated that issue I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help!

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#310866 - 07/10/07 12:20 PM
ElenaDragon

From what I've read, soy is on the migraine trigger list because it contains tyramine (which is also found in foods like aged cheeses and red wine). After my migraine incident from the soy protein powder, I noticed that it would also happen after eating veggie burgers (with textured soy protein), luna bars (soy protein), and even stir fry dishes with tofu and soy sauce in them (no MSG). After eating such a meal, I would also get suddenly very sleepy about 10-15 minutes after eating. When I realized it was also giving me gas, I started cutting out soy altogether (except for the occasional soy chai latte or small amounts of soy lecithin in packaged foods), and I have indeed noticed a reduction in my headaches. I was eating a lot of soy at the time, which I'm sure contributed, and I would probably do okay with small amounts now if it doesn't cause me gas.

By the way, I also tend to get migraines at that time of month. If I may ask, how did you eliminate that problem? My gyn says it is probably due to estrogen withdrawal since I am on birth control pills.

--------------------
Lisa

#310884 - 07/10/07 04:08 PM
blackrvn5

My gyno switched me over to NuvaRing which is a bc. I leave it in for 4 weeks and replace it immediatly without a break. This elimates the periods and everything else that came with it. I was taking darvocet for the cramps and had horrible migrains along with horrible mood swings. I feel a lot better now. Highly recommend it to anyone. I have to say, my stomach hasn't been as bad since I switched over as well.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#310888 - 07/10/07 05:32 PM
ElenaDragon

Ah thanks for the info. I did try the NuvaRing for a few months once (not continuous), and it wasn't for me. I have heard that you can do that with pills as well though. My only concern would be that I'm kind of used to having my period every month to know for sure that I'm not pregnant, lol.

--------------------
Lisa

#310890 - 07/10/07 06:09 PM
blackrvn5

I love the fact I don't have to think about it. No worries about getting pregnant...had my tubes tied after my 2nd daughter was born. Yes, you can do the same thing with the pill according to my dr.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#310910 - 07/11/07 06:47 AM
ElenaDragon

Well I'm not quite ready for that step. Haven't had kids yet and would like to some day. That's great that you found a good solution for you though. So far my headaches around that time of month are annoying, but manageable. It's good to know there are options though!

--------------------
Lisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review