All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
miso substitute
      #306432 - 05/02/07 06:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't want to buy a container of miso for a recipe that calls for 2t. soba noodle recipe
So what should I sub? I could buy it as it does last a while, but I know it will go to waste.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: miso substitute and soba noodles new
      #306495 - 05/03/07 07:44 PM
Little Minnie

We actually had small containers of miso- maybe 6 oz. So I bought that and should be able to get more use out of it.

Another thing I wonder- I couldn't find actual soba noodles and so I bought whole wheat spaghetti. Do you think they are pretty much the same? What about brown rice pasta or spelt pasta? I know soba is buckwheat not whole wheat and I suppose it is a little different in taste and consistency to WW.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: miso substitute new
      #306717 - 05/07/07 10:23 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Miso makes a great fish marinade/rub: here's one recipe but you can just google "salmon miso recipe" (or whatever fish you have) and get loads of recipes.

Also, having it around means that miso soup is just a cup of boiling water away....

--AC

p.s. I find that soba is a lot different than spaghetti, particularly if you get the soba with yam in it. It's more slippery, and has a somewhat different chew.

thanks new
      #306826 - 05/08/07 03:04 PM
Little Minnie

I will try to use up the miso. At least it is a smaller container. I talked with the natural foods manager and she said she used to carry soba but it didn't sell well. I was surprised because so many recipes use it. I bought this brown rice pasta (MIL is GF right now) and it was very good. It takes 15 minutes to boil, but tastes like spaghetti. I didn't look at the nutrition facts at all. It made a nice salad with the miso and edamame. I felt healthy!

--------------------

Re: miso soup idea new
      #306946 - 05/09/07 10:41 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I like miso soup for lunch. I buy wakame seaweed dried and cut it up in a bowl of water, microwave that for 4-5 minutes till done, add a bit of cooked rice and a spoonful of miso, then microwave for 1 minute more. I sometimes slice a small amount of firm tofu into the soup before serving.

The seaweed is a quick, healthy vegetable with lots of good nutrients like magnesium and iodine.

I think miso lasts a long time in the frig--it's salty and fermented and doesn't go bad.

C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2785

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review