All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Any Onion&Garlic-Free Recipes Wanted
      #305587 - 04/21/07 08:18 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Hi, I am new to Heather's Board--just got the cookbook and got so hungry reading it!

But I have not been able to eat onions or any culinary quantities of garlic for over 25 years--so-- most of the snacks and main dishes are going to taste pretty different without those (to me) HUGE quantities of garlic.

I haven't had much fun cooking in years due to this dietary limitation, but was wondering if anybody could make any fresh and innovative suggestions for recipes. And no, I can't eat leeks, scallions, shallots, onion powder, or garlic powder either.

Thanks!

C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any Onion&Garlic-Free Recipes Wanted new
      #305590 - 04/21/07 09:07 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi hope I don't sound really ignorant here but have you tried just doing the recipe but missing the onions and garlic out?
there's loads of recipe's for main meals in the index so just look through those and see what it tastes like minus the onion/garlic. I really think that the best bet here is to experiment without.
Also use herbs to boost flavour like coriander, basil etc and season with pepper.

#305607 - 04/21/07 06:40 PM
Calli66

Yes, I know I can leave the garlic and onions out--I've been doing that for 27 years. But I was so inspired by the gourmet recipes in Heather's book, that I was hoping for some new gourmet ideas to try that don't just eliminate the G & O's, but are truly creative in and of themselves. I'm so bored with my own cooking (not my best talent).

I do use basil, turmeric, Italian seasoning, etc., and of course I can make the desserts, but I'm always looking for a new approach.

Thanks,

C

#305622 - 04/22/07 03:23 AM
NatsukoJpn

Reged: 04/22/07
Loc: Rural Japan

I used to have problems when I ate onions and didn't eat them for a long time. A friend of mine whose husband works for the Japanese version of the Department of Agriculure - told me to chop my onions 45 mintues before I uses them. Then when you cook them they are easier to digest. It sounds crazy but it seems to work. Now if she had a remedy for garlic I would be so happy.
Natsuko

#305637 - 04/22/07 08:48 AM
Calli66

Natsuko-Thanks so much for your reply!

I feel so alone having this food sensitivity. It really prevents me from enjoying restaurant food--everything is made with onions, garlic, or the powders. I can't even communicate to the servers or staff--they'll say," Well, try this--it doesn't have MUCH onion in it."

I have lived in FEAR of onions for many years, and that fear makes me hesitate to try your chopping-beforehand idea. It makes sense, though--perhaps some of the sensitizing ingredients are the volatiles--or maybe exposure to air changes the active chemical to something else. I wish I knew.

Garlic doesn't seem to be as deadly for me. I avoided it for years, too, but recently I have been adding very small quantities (sauteed) to large family-sized dishes of cooked food. By "small" I mean less than 1/4 of a clove. It really adds to the flavor, and doesn't bother me too much.

I just might try your idea with a tiny amount of onion and see what happens--very daring for me. Do you know what variety of onion would be the mildest?

C

#305648 - 04/22/07 02:05 PM
NatsukoJpn

Reged: 04/22/07
Loc: Rural Japan

Over here we can get long green onions, leeks and the plain round onions. I buy my vegetables at the local farmers market (one advantage of living in the country) and they are just sold as "round onions."

#305662 - 04/22/07 05:03 PM
Calli66

Thank you. I just went shopping for food today, and threw caution to the wind----I bought one small (2 cm), round, white onion. But haven't cooked it yet. I will let you know if the experiment succeeds. I will try only 1/4 of it to start.

C

#305703 - 04/23/07 08:35 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I'll be very interested in the results of your experiment. As I posted in reply to you on the other thread, I have avoided the entire onion family for years as even a tiny amount has me in pain for ages. I think I heard somewhere that if you chop and boil onions first, then discard the water, you can use them safely - probably, like the other method, this gets rid of the volatile oils. I don't really want to try it yet, though - I'm not as brave as you! Hope it goes well - like you, I have had very limited choices when eating out and always leave out the onions when cooking for myself.

#305728 - 04/23/07 01:23 PM
Calli66

Rio,

FYI--I'm still procrastinating, onion-wise!

If and when I work up the nerve I will report on the results. But not today--just got back from 2 hours at the dentist---prep for a crown--ouch! (felt in wallet, mostly).

C

#305802 - 04/24/07 08:28 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Ouch indeed, Calli66. I feel your pain - I'm having more root canal treatment next week. As I type this, my husband is cooking onions (to go in his and the kid's dinner) but I'm sticking to plain chicken breast as usual. Oh well. One day, maybe ...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review