All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to your group & many questions
      #304898 - 04/13/07 08:59 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

In Short I'm wanting to know it there're any of these items, store bought ready made that we can use of IBS-C. Barbecue Sauce, Pizza sauce, Salsa & Bacon Bits. Also can you explain to me what is Chutney? Thanks for all that can help. Going on 60 I just don't cook like when I was young and still working and coming home was so easy to pick up something or frozen healthy foods. Now that my special daughter has IBS I'm having to learn how to cook again for her. I have a lot of receips that will need some adjustment and from reading some of your messages some of you are really good cooks. I was never much of a cook but always did a lot of receips and did ok but did cook a lot when I was young because I raised 3 sons. And though I could live the easy live now that I'm 60 to were I didn't have to cook much anymore. But I'm willing to get back into the cooking for my daughter and hope that it helps her. She has been doing a little better, thanks to this site and to y'all for all your in put. Thanks again OH! I almost forgot is there any cheese out there that even taste like real chedder cheese, that is one thing my daughter really loves it cheese and I bought the veggie cheese but was not too sure about the taste. Please Help I need it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to your group & many questions new
      #304904 - 04/14/07 02:50 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi well, the trick is just to learn about reading labels.
Look out for triggers- dairy, red meat, egg yolks.
Also have a quick look at the nutritional info and the fat grams. If they're high then give it a miss or eat just a little bit of it at a time.
I'm pretty sure you can get safe bbq sauce. For pizza sauce I use a jar of pasta sauce that is tomato based- it works well.
chutney is like a preserve. You make it with apples, onions, mangoes etc it's basically like jam only it's used for savoury dishes but it's that kind of consistency. The bacon bits we get in the uk are made from soya so are fine salsa should be fine I think again just check ingrediants, I know that starting out is really daunting but you will get used to it I'm sure
Hope this helps

#304928 - 04/14/07 08:37 AM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

seggy,
Thank for the input, I have been trying to read labels, but some of the items I can't even pronoun let a lone know what they mean, and they use so many different name for all kinds of stuff. Is there a web site that gives the definition of item they put on labels. For instants I didn't know sorbitol was a sugar that we should not have.
Thanks again

#304935 - 04/14/07 10:09 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi, I didn't know that either! I don't know of a site that's good for decoding ingrediants lists
what I do is just look for obvious triggers like dairy and egg yolks cos they often sneak them in there.
sorry I can't be of more help hopefully someone else will have more of an idea

#304941 - 04/14/07 10:57 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

Barbecue Sauce, Pizza sauce, Salsa & Bacon Bits

I don't generally buy BBQ sauce but I would imagine that aside from the obvious triggers mentioned, you should make sure there isn't any HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in it.

Pizza Sauce: I use Ragu Organic Garden Veggie flavor. It's very good and safe to eat over pasta. Del Monte is also a good one. Neither of them have HFCS.

Bacon Bits: Bac-Os (they're made with soy) are safe.

Salsa: Most salsa is alright to buy. But it is super easy (and much tastier in my opinion) to make your own at home. Get about 10 roma tomatoes of varying sizes. Put them on a cookie sheet and broil until they start to blacken. Then turn them over and broil the other side until they start to blacken again. I think it's about 10 minutes on each side. You can smell them when they get good and black and that's when I know to turn them over. Take them out of the oven and let them cool. When they cool down, put the tomatoes (peel and all) in a blender or food processor with 1 T of garlic salt, about a quarter cup or red onion, 1 t of paprika, about 1 C of cilantro (fresh, or about half a cup of the paste you can get in the produce section) and 1 t of chili powder of your choice. Blend until smooth and stick in the fridge. It is so good! My husband won't even bother with store bought anymore. You really can't ruin the recipe, unless you completely char the tomatoes and there isn't anything left to blend, LOL.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review