All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sausage (sort of) pizza (edited)
      #301968 - 03/10/07 01:35 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've gone on a Use Up The Food In My Freezer Before It Dies Of Frostbite Campaign and since I have about a million little 1/2 pound packages of ground turkey, I came up with this:

Put a little olive oil (or use Pam) in a non-stick skillet. Saute a little chopped onion (about 1/4 onion) until soft. Add 1/2 pound ground turkey and brown. When turkey is almost brown, add the following:

Salt
Paprika
Black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Dried thyme leaves
Dried basil leaves
Fennel

I didn't measure any of this, just threw it in. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of each and more of the salt. Continue cooking until turkey is brown, stirring to incorporate the seasonings.

Take your favorite IBS-safe pizza crust, top with a little pizza sauce, and top that with the "sausage" you just made. Top with IBS-safe cheese if you want. (I didn't, mostly because I didn't have any.) Cook as directed on crust package.

This was surprisingly good. Next time I'll probably up the seasonings more, especially the fennel and basil.

I based the sausage recipe on a Rachael Ray recipe and since I didn't have any grill seasoning, I used the seasonings given here. It's amazing what you can find on the Internet.

(Edited on 4/12/07 to add Fennel to the list of seasonings.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (04/12/07 02:21 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

yummy!!! -nt new
      #301977 - 03/10/07 04:42 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

question new
      #301981 - 03/10/07 06:07 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

this sounds really good, but does anyone have any ideas for what to do sauce wise for someone who absolutley cannot tolerate tomatoes in any form???

Re: question new
      #301983 - 03/10/07 07:31 PM
Sand

To tell you the truth, for this topping I thought I might have done better to skip the pizza sauce - the "sausage" by itself would probably have been enough.

Beyond that, I've been thinking about trying some Rachael Ray pizzas that don't use tomato sauces - just for a change. Here are some of the recipes I've considered. They'd have to be altered to be IBS-safe - to start I'd just skip the cheese - but maybe they'll give you some ideas for offbeat toppings:

Hummus - this intrigues me because with hummus as a "sauce" you could top it with all kinds of veggies

Peking pizza - it does call for barbeque sauce which might be a tomato problem for you but hoisin sauce might work

Spinach - this sounds yummy and I bet I wouldn't even miss the cheese

I also have a recipe in a cookbook called Eating Well Is The Best Revenge by Marian Burros. It's for Pacific Rim Chicken Pizza and calls for carrots, green pepper, scallions, chicken, ginger, mango chutney, peanut butter, sherry, and a couple of other things. Essentially the chutney and peanut butter along with some flavorings take the place of the sauce. I haven't tried the recipe yet - it's on my list - but if anyone is interested I'll be glad to post it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I took the leftover "sausage" new
      #302023 - 03/11/07 05:51 PM
Sand

mixed it with a little jar pasta sauce (I used Ragu 7-Herb Tomato) and it made a yummy meat sauce.

--------------------

Actual measurements new
      #323566 - 01/30/08 03:17 PM
Sand

I've been fiddling with this "sausage" recipe and have come up with measurements I like for the various seasonings:

1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme leaves
1 Tablespoon Dried basil leaves
1 Tablespoon Fennel

--------------------

Re: Actual measurements new
      #323567 - 01/30/08 03:27 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

This sounds good - I'll have to try it!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Fennel in recipes,question new
      #352883 - 12/01/09 10:01 AM

Unregistered

when recipes call for fennel do I use heather's loose tea or is this a ground fennel??

Re: Fennel in recipes,question new
      #352905 - 12/01/09 03:56 PM
Sand

Quote:

when recipes call for fennel do I use heather's loose tea or is this a ground fennel??

When I say "fennel" here I mean "fennel seeds"so Heather's loose tea or the fennel seeds you buy in the spice aisle at the supermarket or at Indian markets. I don't think I've ever seen ground fennel.

In general, though, lots of recipes say "fennel" when they mean that thing that looks like a really short, really fat celery stalk - which some people also call "anise".

--------------------

#352932 - 12/02/09 10:07 AM

Unregistered

I saw ground fennel at puritan's pride website,I belive. omg check out mountainroseherbs.com they have all natural organic spices/seasonings they are great, I bought the slipery elm capsules and since they were 9.25 and minimum order is $10 I got a cool salt called black lava its really good. There were others I wanted like their pumkin spice and their pink salt,but I didn't have money to buy stuff.

#353202 - 12/14/09 05:38 PM
Glenna2

Reged: 11/24/09

I purchased ground fennel at our grocery store. I believe most recipes would mean "ground" fennel.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10731

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review