All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Falafels????
      #301245 - 03/02/07 10:11 AM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I am wondering if anyone has found a successful falafel recipe that doesn't include frying them in oil to cook them.
I love falafels, and have found some great "ibs" friendly recipes, however every single one of them has cooking instructions with them fried or cooked in the oven with way more oil than I can safely consume.....
Any one have any suggestions/tips????

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Falafels???? new
      #301251 - 03/02/07 12:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Cooking light had a recipe and I made it but was disappointed. It was messy and not so great. I don't think I bothered making them perfect and they could have been better I suppose. I made the tahini sauce so garlicky! It was good but we had to stay away from people.

Open-Faced Falafel Burgers

From
This Middle Eastern vegetarian sandwich is typically stuffed in a pita, but our version offers a more eye-catching presentation. Garnish with parsley.

Sauce:
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced

Patties:
1 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided

Remaining ingredients:
6 mini pitas (about 5 inches wide)
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped tomato
2 cups sliced peeled cucumber
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

To prepare sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth.
To prepare patties, combine 1 cup onion and next 7 ingredients (through 4 garlic cloves) in a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Place bean mixture in a large bowl; stir in 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Divide bean mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dredge patties in breadcrumbs.

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and patties.

Warm mini pitas according to package directions. Place 1 pita on each of 6 plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup lettuce, 1/3 cup tomato, 1/3 cup cucumber, and 4 teaspoons onion. Drizzle each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce; top each serving with 1 patty.

Wine note: Light in body and tannin, pinot noir is the perfect red wine for robust vegetarian dishes. These burgers include spices like coriander and cumin, which are echoed in Kim Crawford Marlborough Pinot Noir ($15), with its savory nuances and aromas of smoke and dried herbs. Bright fruit and ample acidity help to cut the burgers' rich tahini sauce. -Jeffery Lindenmuth

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

CALORIES 437 (24% from fat); FAT 11.6g (sat 1.7g,mono 4.1g,poly 4.6g); PROTEIN 14.8g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 159mg; SODIUM 903mg; FIBER 9.1g; IRON 4.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 70.8g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2006

There were several other recipes when I searched Cooking Light for falafel. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#301279 - 03/02/07 09:14 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I had never had falafels, but the description of them in books always sounded so good. So, I found this safe recipe for them (more or less -- you'll need to replace the two whole eggs with four egg whites), and decided to give it a try.

They were horrible. Now, since I have no idea how they are supposed to taste, it's possible that I would also find "real" falafels to be horrible too. I also think that probably some of it was psychological -- I had actually never seen garbanzo beans before and when I dumped them out of the can, I was alarmed to find that they looked like Kewpie doll heads. I felt like some kind of horrible murderer when I started mashing them.

Anyway, maybe you could just use the cooking method in the recipe and adapt the seasonings to recipes you've used in the past. I thought that they turned out fine as far as the cooking part went, but I just had trouble swallowing those chunky bits of Kewpie doll heads.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#301281 - 03/02/07 11:11 PM
wondersha

thanks for replying and making me laugh....kewpie heads...i guarantee you, when done properly falafel is just wonderful...the randomness of the food I miss eating never fails to amaze me...

#301282 - 03/02/07 11:13 PM
wondersha

you are now at the top of my good thoughts for good people list...a million thank yous....I greatly appreciate the recipe...and look forward to making them on monday

#301917 - 03/09/07 01:56 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Fantastic Foods has a dry falafel mix, which gives you instructions about how to bake 'em. It's a quick falafel fix if you don't want to go to the trouble to make them from scratch.

--AC, now craving falafel and baba gannoush

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review