All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can I use baking soda instead of yeast when making bread?
      #300361 - 02/20/07 07:52 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

The stores where I live had ONE type of bread that I felt was tasty and IBS safe. And guess what? In the effort to make all their breads healthier the company has changed the recipe and put more fiber in the bread. I have written to them and explained the situation for IBS:ers and asked them if the fiber they've added is SF or IF. I'm guessing IF though. (It just says wheat fiber.)

Now I want to start making my own bread. But I have heard it's good to not always eat bread with yeast (although the yeast is supposed to be "gone" when the bread is done right). Since I bake a lot of cakes et.c. I usually have baking soda available in my kitchen, so I thought it would be practical to use that for "food" type bread too.

How would I go about using baking soda instead of yeast in a recipe? I once read that baking soda requires something sour in the recipe for it to work but I don't know if that's right or if I remember it wrong.

Note: I want to make a food type of bread that is low fat. Like a loaf of French bread or something similar. Most of the breads in Heather's book have a far too high fat content for me to eat them on an empty stomach.

Any suggestions?

For how many days does a homemade loaf of bread typically keep (is that the right word)?

Thanks,

Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can I use baking soda instead of yeast when making bread? new
      #300372 - 02/21/07 03:01 AM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

I'd do a search on the internet for a recipe for Soda bread, shop bought ones do tend to contain dairy, but you could probably substitute with soy milk and vinegar or something like that. Perhaps someone else could help you with that?

Check the recipe index, theres 5 recipes there nt new
      #300373 - 02/21/07 03:14 AM
susieannah

Is yeast a trigger? new
      #300392 - 02/21/07 09:39 AM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I'm a little confused about the whole yeast thing. Is yeast supposed to be a trigger? A trigger in a lot of people, or a few people? I just received a bread machine for Christmas and I'm afraid to use it because of the yeast issue.

Nope, it's not an IBS trigger... new
      #300399 - 02/21/07 09:53 AM
Ulrika

It's just that some health freaks over here (you know alternative nutritional therapists) say that eating stuff that contains yeast too much may increase the risk of you getting too much yeast in the digestive system. I have no idea if there's any truth to it or if there are other reasons for it and I have just misunderstood them, or if it's just something you should ignore...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Hmmm, suppose you mean the Irish soda breads? new
      #300403 - 02/21/07 10:10 AM
Ulrika

I read through the recipes and - hmmm - well, the one from AmandaM that she said was a bit heavy did only contain a little bit of baking soda (or if it was powder), but the other recipes did call for 4 tsp of baking soda (or the total of soda and powder). I have tried making bread with that much soda before I got IBS and got really gassy from that so I'd prefer a smaller amount. I've had no problems with the amounts like 1-2 tsp used in the cakes though.

Is it possible to use as little as 1-2 tsp baking soda in a food type (like French) bread without it getting too compact?

Any suggestions would be nice... I figure once I have a good plain recipe to start with I can improvise and make carrot bread et.c. or bread with herbs et.c. or whatever I like.

In the meantime I'm going to try a recipe with yeast...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Hmmm, suppose you mean the Irish soda breads? new
      #300475 - 02/22/07 03:22 AM
susieannah

I can only suggest trying to reduce the baking soda a little and see how it turns out, perhaps 2&1/2 tsp or 3 if you could tolerate it. It's always trial and error I'm afraid.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4100

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review