All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
not enough time to cook!
      #300056 - 02/17/07 08:06 PM
melissamh

Reged: 01/31/07

i have been on this diet for a short while, and it seems to work. however, i feel like i could spend my life preparing food. i have a very busy job, working 6-7 days a week, and don't see myself being able to cook regularly (plus all the shopping and clean-up). the food at work is not ibs friendly, and i never seem to do well at restaurants (things seemingly safe aren't so and portions are too big - i seem to always eat what is in front of me but getting better). "healthy" frozen dinners seem to mess me up badly. i could eat a turkey sandwich on white or sourdough bread every day, but this gets SO old.

anyway, i've come to the conclusion that it's my choice to sleep or eat properly. i've been hardly sleeping lately to be able to make my food, but i become a zombie when i don't get my sleep (and my ibs gets worse, too). i know i can make a lot on weekends and freeze meals, but even this seems a stretch with my job. i'm sure no one has a magic answer. i guess i just needed to vent. anyway, to anyone who reads this, thanx for hearing me out.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: nott enough time to cook! new
      #300059 - 02/17/07 11:02 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I can sympathize with where you are coming from..I am having a hard time finding the time to cook proper meals as well..the only thing that keeps me doing it is the results I am seeing...ive taken to making really quick and easy things in larger quantities that i can package and eat the next day..after about two weeks of eating plain pasta and rice I had to do something else.
Eventually you will find the balance, and believe me it is worth it

Re: not enough time to cook! new
      #300062 - 02/18/07 04:52 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Have you heard of freezer cooking or batch cooking? The concept is basically that you spend Friday shopping and Saturday cooking and have enough for 30+ days. My favorite site is www.30daygourmet.com The author has a couple different books, but the main one, 30 Day Gourmet, explains the concept. There aren't alot of IBS friendly recipes on the site, but you can learn the system and adapt your own recipes. The author claims to cook only once every 6 months, using this system.

not sure how much i can help,, but ,,,, new
      #300063 - 02/18/07 04:54 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

,,, I just had a couple of quick ideas. Maybe for lunches at work you can talk to whoever is in charge of the food and ask if it wouldn't be too much trouble to special order something for you, either everyday or every few days. As for cooking at home, have you tried a crockpot? Just throw the food in before you leave in the morning and leave it on low all day, when you get back from work it'll be done. Depending on how much you make, you could freeze the leftovers, or bring them to work the next day for lunch. Some things that are really good in the crockpot are turkey/chicken with potatoes and carrots, and eat it over rice. One of my favorite meals. If you have Thai or other Asian restaraunts near your house that deliver, you could try ordering in while you are on your way home from work, so it'll arrive shortly after you get home. Again, not sure if any of this will help, sorry if it didn't. Good luck.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

thanx for the tips! new
      #300080 - 02/18/07 09:43 AM
melissamh

seems you do a lot of cooking for your family. how many are there and what are the age ranges? i'm from a family of 7 and am #2 in the mix (my youngest brother is 15, probably about your age, and i was a senior in high school when he was born!). i've been out of the house for a long time - probably about as long as you've been alive - and didn't cook much growing up. my mom was a great cook, too, so i didn't have to do much then. don't know what i've been living on over all these years, seemingly the same thing daily. i'm getting bored i think i will try the once a month cooking suggested below. it will help in the time factor (only once a month will there be major shopping and clean-up!)

oamc - great concept, probably easily adaptable to most recipes new
      #300081 - 02/18/07 09:47 AM
melissamh

thanx, i checked out the website and ordered the freezer cooking manual. i'll try it and let you know how it works

#300133 - 02/19/07 04:19 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I agree with the other posters. OAMC was too overwhelming for me--but I like to make a little ahead--such as making 2 or 3 fruit breads and freeze the extras, you can freeze muffins as well. Freeze in individual servings, just take out and thaw overnight. I do the same with chicken breasts--cook some without seasnings and they are very versatile. You can do it. I had gotten away from the diet and I am paying for it. It is worth the time to take care of yourself--you can learn a few shortcuts to find a balance between your lack of free time and your health.
Melissa

Re: thanx for the tips! new
      #300148 - 02/19/07 08:39 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Haha yes I do alot of the cooking There are 6 of us, I'm 17, and the youngest is 4. I love to cook, and with IBS it has been a bit tough but lots of fun trying new things. For a while I was living on bread, applesauce, rice, and chicken lol, but now I can actually have some variety lol. Its nice. Good luck with the once a month cooking. We did that once when my mom was pregnant and it worked out great. Actually thats how I learned how to cook, I did all the cooking for 4 months when my mom was pregnant with my three youngest siblings.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#300241 - 02/20/07 04:18 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

You're right, OAMC is a bit overwhelming. What I do, is everytime I cook something, I make a double or triple batch and freeze the extra. I generally cook fresh only every other night, maybe and always have 5-6 dinners in the freezer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4382

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review