All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
sifting flour?
      #299291 - 02/07/07 06:39 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

This maybe a silly question, but I'm not the greatest cook, so I follow the EFI recipes to a t. I always sift the dry ingredients like it says, but do you have to, to get the recipe to come out the same? It would save time not to, but I'm not sure how they would come out. Does everyone sift the dry ingredients?
Shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sifting flour? new
      #299297 - 02/07/07 08:24 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I never sift unless I'm making angel food cake from scratch - one of the fussiest things I've ever made in my life, haha. For run-of-the-mill quick breads and things like that, I've just never seen the point. They come out delicious for me without sifting.

I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on the recipe.

#299304 - 02/08/07 05:27 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

No I never sift either. I've never made angel food cake from scratch too, LOL.

What I do is I mix the dry stuff in a large bowl... I mix them toroughly so that more air gets in that's the idea of sifting, right, that it becomes more fluffy

Sifting is super messy... I admire you for doing it and cleaning up after youself...

#299339 - 02/08/07 11:55 AM
shannonm

Thanks, It was really messy. I've never made angel food cake from scracth, I not sure if I'm ready to tackle that just yet.
shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

#299368 - 02/08/07 02:17 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I do, but partly because I've always liked the sifter. I stole my mother's -- the one I used to make messes with as a kid. Most of the time, though, I don't think it's that big a deal.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#299375 - 02/08/07 03:33 PM
Jeio

Oh, btw, I went to Bed Bath and Beyond (waay Beyond) yesterday and they had a sifter shaped like a cup... Never seen anything like that, but I suppose it would make things a little less messy...

That's an image of it... http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50672517/Sifter_Cups.jpg

They invent all sorts of gadgets over here, LOL. Grandma and I used plain old sieves

#299449 - 02/09/07 07:31 PM
shannonm

I like that one! The one I have the turner is on the side and is big and bulky. That one looks like you squeze the handle and it sifts. I might have to go the store and check it out. Tonight I'm making one of Heather's breads and I didn't sift, so I'm waiting to see how it comes out. I'll let you know. Thanks for the info and the picture.
Shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

#299454 - 02/09/07 07:51 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Flour today is pre-sifted at the mill, so there's really no reason to sift it unless the recipe author specifically tells you to. If you do it when they don't tell you to, I'd think you may actually be altering the volume of flour you are putting into the recipe. If your flour has a few lumps, I would just break them up with a knife or something.

#299458 - 02/09/07 08:10 PM
Jeio

I don't think you can get more air in flour beyond a certain amount. Meaning, if you double sift the flour, you don't do much but waste your time for the second sifting.

The fact it's presifted at the mill only means it will be fine flour. Nothing else, because it will get compressed while transported around. All the air it got in the sifting will be gone until it gets to my countertop. Thus, if I want fluffy flour, I need to sift it. It might have some of the air in it, but it won't have all of it and I really can't overdo by sifting.

In general, though, I don't have time for things like sifting, so I just whisk the flour a couple of times before spooning into cup (if measuring) or in the bowl with the rest of the dry stuff.

#299459 - 02/09/07 08:12 PM
Jeio

Ha-haaa, I am so glad it was useful. Yes, you squeeze the handle and it sifts.

I thought, oh, no, that's just one of those things I never knew and you guys always had and now you will laugh at me - the moron

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review