All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What is a good syrup???
      #298868 - 02/04/07 11:47 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been making oatmeal pancakes. They are pretty good, safe mix with my oats thrown in them. But, I can't find a good natural syrup, the one I just bought tastes like burnt toast......it's awful and the fakes have so much HFCS, it's like the first or second ingredient. Any suggestions.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is a good syrup??? new
      #298869 - 02/04/07 11:51 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

I use pure maple as I've seen recommended here.

Re: What is a good syrup??? Brand new
      #298873 - 02/04/07 01:02 PM
LtDanFan

Is there a brand that is better tasting than others?

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Do you just throw oatmeal in a pancake recipe? new
      #298885 - 02/04/07 03:01 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I second trying the maple syrup.

Re: What is a good syrup??? new
      #298890 - 02/04/07 04:15 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The best one that I've found I unfortunately can't remember the name of. But it is very easy to recognize. It's in a glass bottle shaped like a maple leaf. There aren't any others in a bottle shaped that way. It doesn't have a label, just a tag around the neck of the bottle. It's available at most of the major grocery chains out here.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Home made black cherry syrup new
      #298927 - 02/05/07 06:22 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I HATE maple syrup. I don't understand how people eat it..... So I can't suggest much to you in that regard.

However...Are you up to making your own fruit syrup? My grandma used to make all kinds of syrups from all kinds of fruit... For example this one -- from black cheries, it's my favourite (not sure if that's grandma's recipe, but I will ask):

Ingredients:
3 kg ripe black cheries (the dictionary sais morello cheries... those are the sour cheries) 3kg = 6.61 lb
1 liter water = 1.05 quarts
4,5 kg sugar = 9.92 lb
4 packs limontuzu (which it dry lemon acid... I guess you can use 4 teaspoons lemon juice... I haven't seen dry lemon acid on this side of the Atlantic)

Clean the cheries (remove the pits and stalks), wash them and squeese a little with your hands. Add the lemon acid and the water. Let sit 24 hours.

After they sat, blend them in a blender (or with a hand blender, or with a hand if you are up to it ) Take the mixture and strain it (save the juice, and strain the remainder a couple more times... discard the remainder).

Take the juice and add sugar. The ratio for adding sugar is 1.5 kg sugar for 1 liter juice (so if you got 3 liters juice with is approximately what you will get, you will put 4.5 kg sugar) Let sit 48 hours stirring from time to time until the sugar dissolves.

Pour in bottles and store in refrigerator, or sterilize. Store in a dark place, btw.

This makes a lot of syrup, so adjust accordingly if you need less. It would make like 3 liters, which is more than 3 quarts...

#298948 - 02/05/07 09:31 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

There were 2 at the store I go to under $5 so I just picked one of those, tastes great. All the rest were $8 - $15. I would just pick one of the cheaper 100% maple syrups.

#298970 - 02/05/07 10:39 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Even pure maple syrup with no fuctose corn syrup cause problems for me.
I wonder if this means I can not tolerate fructose or succrose?
Would that indicate SIBO or another non IBS component?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#299119 - 02/06/07 01:11 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I don't know about that, but I'd first blame it on the tree sap. It's not just sugar in the maple syrup, it's made from sap so maybe something else in it is bothering you...

How about table sugar? If you drink a cup of tea with sugar, does it bother you?

Re: Do you just throw oatmeal in a pancake recipe? new
      #299125 - 02/06/07 01:32 PM
LtDanFan

Yes, I just toss it in the mix. It's good when you get tired of eating just oatmeal all the time, however I tried the pure maple syrup that tasted like burnt toast, but it was expensive and I don't want to pay a lot for a different kind.....so maybe I'll use real fruit or just cinnamon & sugar?? I get so tired of stupid IBS

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review