All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bread machine bread question
      #294970 - 12/31/06 11:51 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

I'm really not familiar with making bread but I just bought a bread machine today. I was wondering if I could use this recipe that I found in the recipe exchange in a bread machine?

Buy a cheap candy thermometer for $2 to check water temperature.

Ingredients:

7 cups white flour, plus an extra 4 T or so for luck
2 cups warm water, approx 110 degrees
2 packages yeast, or equivalent (I use 4 1/2 t Red Star)
1 t salt
3 t sugar

Spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Measure flour into stainless steel bowl. Mix in salt. Throw it in the oven and turn on oven to ~180 degrees.

In separate glass bowl, mix sugar and yeast. Add approx 1/2 cup of the water and let proof until foamy -- around 5 minutes.

Take bowl out of oven. Flour should be warmed. Make a well in the bowl and pour in the rest of the water and the yeast mixture. Mix with a spoon until dough starts to form. Knead for 10 minutes by hand or w/ stand mixer & dough hook. Dough should eventually be lovely and elastic-y and smooth under your fingers.

Divide dough into two equal portions. Shape into loaf and glop into loaf pans. Turn on oven to 350. Cover loaves with a clean cloth or paper towel and let rise until approx one inch above the top of the loaf pan. Usually this takes about 30-40 minutes, less if the kitchen is warm, more if the kitchen is cold.

Bake loaves at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Turn it out of the pan and pat the bottom gently with the palm of your hand -- if it sounds "hollow", it's done. (I always thought that sounded weird, but trust me, when you feel it, you'll know immediately what it means.) I like my bread a little softer, so I generally bake around 35 minutes.

Turn out of pan onto wire rack. If your wire racks are buried at the bottom of a stack of cookie sheets like mine, turn them onto plates instead. Let cool for several minutes before slicing.

Cook's notes -- I am not too sure what warming the flour does, but it turns out way better when I do. It seems to mix better and the bread is softer. Make sure you don't let it rise too long -- you'll start to get air pockets and your bread won't be nice and firm.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Don't think so. new
      #295005 - 01/01/07 05:14 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

First of all, 7 cups is a HUGE amount. For a 2 pound loaf (the biggest you can make in a machine), you only need 4 or less. Secondly, you use bread machine yeast which is different than the traditional kind you have to rise. Best use one of the recipes in the machine. I have a recipe on the recipe index for a safe, easy bread. web page
Anyway, stick to ones that use white flour only for now, and don't add any dairy. If it asks for milk, choose another recipe. If it asks for milk powder, I simply omit it and use water.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1208

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review