All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather's cinnamon apple cake: can I skip the raisins?
      #294297 - 12/21/06 09:25 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I made the cinnamon apple cake (something with great great grandma's or something like that) from the EFI book and I loved it. Only now I'd like to make it ultra safe so I want to skip the raisins. Now my question is, will this affect the consistency of the cake and if so what can I add to make it better? Another problem is that raisins are fairly high in energy so if I just leave them out then the fat percent of the cake goes up quite a bit I think. Then again I use sweetened applesauce when I bake so this should bring the non-fat energy content up too...

Any suggestions?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's cinnamon apple cake: can I skip the raisins? new
      #294304 - 12/21/06 10:51 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Do you mean the chocolate applesauce cake in the "Breads" section? I made it without the raisins because I don't like raisins with chocolate and spices, and it came out just fine. If you are using more applesauce and less oil, the fat content should be okay.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#294306 - 12/21/06 11:09 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Yep that would be the one. So you didn't have to bake it for a bit longer? The raisins do add some dry matter to the cake, so I thought maybe I would need to bake it for a tiny bit longer.

Basically you suggest I could replace a bit of the oil in the recipe with applesauce to compensate for leaving the raisins out?

Thanks!

I'm going home to my parents tomorrow to stay there for the holidays and since there will be a lot of snacking on Xmas stuff I thought I'd bake some things that are low-fat enough to be safe to eat on an empty stomach so I can sit down and enjoy a Xmas snack with my family.

I thought I might strip the peppermint fudge cake of the peppermint too and spike it with some Xmas spices instead...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#294309 - 12/21/06 11:25 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I didn't have to bake it longer (beyond the extra five minutes my oven always seems to need). I don't think it's strictly necessary to do the applesauce substitution, unless you feel the need to be extra careful about the fat content. I often just put a spoonful or two of applesauce in the measuring cup before measuring the oil when making any bread, because I like the breads to be extra low fat as they are my usual evening snack. I want the last thing I put in my stomach before bed to be as safe as possible.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2575

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review