All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
question about antidepressent brownies
      #293051 - 12/09/06 07:01 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I haven't experimented too much with the recipes yet, just a few, but tomorrow I will be making the antidepressent brownies for company! (I'm making another "regular" dessert too and I have some ice cream for my guests should the brownies turn out horrible!)
Anyhow, when it says to add applesauce, what kind should I use? I have regular applesauce (with added sugar) or I have natural applesauce with no sugar added.

Also, I did make one other brownie recipe awhile ago (can't remember exactly which one...there are so many here ) but they tasted a bit odd shall I say. Is it just that it is an acquired taste to get used to the cocoa instead of real chocolate? I loooove real brownies and these had a much different taste. I'm wondering if the antidepressent ones will be similar just b/c of the cocoa.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about antidepressent brownies new
      #293054 - 12/09/06 09:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'd use the unsweetened applesauce for baking, unless a recipe specifically says otherwise - the extra sugar might make them *too* sweet.

As for the taste/texture... yes, it's something you'll just have to get used to. It's not the cocoa that does it; it's the lack of fat in the recipe (I've made full-fat cocoa brownies that are every bit as rich and gooey as chocolate ones). The AD brownies are pretty much the same as every other low-fat brownie recipe I've ever tried. Not meaning to be discouraging... just saying that it's something you'll get used to in time. Be sure to take them out of the oven when a toothpick in the center is still sticky, not clean - slightly undercooking them does help.

#293071 - 12/10/06 12:35 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

The AD brownies were the first brownie recipe I made off this site because everyone raves about them. They were good, but they were nothing like brownies -- they were really more like cake.

The black bean brownies in the recipe index are the only low-fat brownie I've had that's just as yummy and gooey as "real" brownies. I know the black bean thing sounds freaky, but they're incredible. You just need to make sure that you get the puree very smooth. Check out the other reviews, I'm not crazy.

If you can find a brownie mix with no IBS no-no's, you can usually make it with egg whites and a fat replacement in lieu of the oil to make it low-fat enough -- I find that this way tends to turn out more brownie-like than some of these from-scratch recipes. I also seldom use applesauce as a fat replacement anymore. Depending on the recipe I'll usually use baby food plums, baby food prunes, corn syrup, or soy milk. For cakes I find I get a much lighter cake if I whip some instant pudding mix w/ some fake milk. Cakes might be moist w/ applesauce, but I'm a from-scratch cake snob and the texture just doesn't do it for me. In particular white cakes are dreadful using applesauce.

Anyway, hope that helped somewhat. Good luck. The AD brownies are good, they just really aren't brownie-ish. Enough fat-free Cool Whip and chocolate syrup will conceal that though.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

thank you and comment new
      #293128 - 12/10/06 07:22 PM
line415

Thanks. I thought it was just me. Yes, they tasted just like the other batch I made. Not terrible...I could see how they can fulfill a chocolate craving, but I guess nothing can compare to the real thing. I like the idea of adding soy milk or something other than applesauce. And glad to know that it's not just the cocoa that gives it that flavor since cocoa is IBS friendly. Jen...when you say buy a box of brownie mix with no IBS no-nos, do you have any specific brands you can think of that would be okay? I remember years ago making them with applesauce to be low fat and it just wasn't the same but maybe it will be a happy medium between the from scratch and the real thing. For those of you who like them, sorry if I sound so picky!!! They were good...but even the kids at my party didn't ask for more ...oh well...at least I ate two and can go to sleep peacefully!

--------------------

#293144 - 12/11/06 04:29 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi,
have you tried Heather's ultimate chocolate pudding brownies? I made them and I don't know whether it's becauese I haven't tried real brownies in ages and have forgotten what they taste like but they tasted wonderful to me
I'll post a recipe up, they have no apple sauce just oil and soy or rice milk. they have obviously got a bit more fat in than applesauce ones but they're great to have as a pudding after a sf meal. ok here you go, I've left comments from HEather on there.
Hope you find the brownie goodness you are looking for hehee
xxx

Ultimate Chocolate Pudding Brownies
This recipe makes a rich, gooey, divinely dark chocolate brownie with its own hot fudge pudding sauce built right in! You'd never guess it's low fat, dairy free, and comes together in just ten minutes of kitchen time.

The key substitutions for good digestion are soy milk for dairy and unsweetened cocoa powder (which is very low fat and caffeine free) in place of solid chocolate. The small amount of decaf instant coffee powder should be very tolerable in the brownie's soluble fiber base, but you can also simply omit it and the end result will still be delicious!

Makes 8 servings

1 C granulated sugar, divided
1 C all-purpose unbleached flour
2 T Acacia Tummy Fiber (optional)
1/4 t salt
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Hershey's), divided
2 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 C canola oil
1/2 C soy or rice milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 T decaffeinated instant coffee powder (optional)
1 C boiling water

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat an 8" or 9" square baking pan with cooking oil spray.

In a large bowl, sift and whisk together 2/3 C of the sugar, the flour, Tummy Fiber, salt, 1/4 C of the cocoa, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk well to blend. Stir in the oil, soy milk, and vanilla (batter will be stiff). Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 C sugar and 1/4 C cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter. Dissolve the coffee powder (if using) into the boiling water, and pour water over the cake. Do not stir.

Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the top of the cake looks crisp and crackled. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and serve warm.

instant coffee powder? new
      #293193 - 12/11/06 11:38 AM
line415

Thank you. They sound good but I'm confused about the instant coffee powder??? IBS-unfriendly???

--------------------

bump n/t new
      #293388 - 12/12/06 08:15 PM
line415

--------------------

Re: instant coffee powder? new
      #293390 - 12/12/06 08:18 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Usually the amount of coffee, spread throughout the brownies makes it safe. I usually leave it out simply because I don't have any in my house. I haven't made this specific recipe yet, but others have tasted fine without it.

--------------------
Kat

Re: thank you and comment new
      #293453 - 12/13/06 09:55 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Look for "No Pudge" brownies - they're great! You can use flavored soy yogurt as the add-in ingredient if you want flavored brownies, although I'm boring and either use vanilla soy yogurt or no-sugar-added applesauce. I also add a handful of non-dairy chocolate chips - this shouldn't be a trigger if you don't add a lot of them since the only fat in the recipe is from your soy yogurt or applesauce.

--AC

Re: instant coffee powder? new
      #293464 - 12/13/06 10:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I make these all the time *with* the instant coffee. As K2 says, the small amount spread over the whole batch doesn't bother me. (Although if I gave into temptation and ate the whole pan at one sitting, I suppose it could be a problem. ) They're yummy and gooey and chocolatey.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review