All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Springform Pain
      #292173 - 12/01/06 05:02 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I want to make the Sweet Potatoe Pecan Pie and feel a little silly, but I am not sure I know what a Spring Form pan is, can someone tell me?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Springform Pain new
      #292177 - 12/01/06 05:17 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

its those baking pans that have a circular base plate with a circular wall that can be removed when you unlatch it.

#292210 - 12/02/06 04:40 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I love the typo! Cheesecakes are often made in springform pans, and hey, for us, that WOULD be springform pain!

Re: Springform Pain - If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone will say so... new
      #292215 - 12/02/06 07:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

but a friend of mine who's the Queen of Desserts told me that you don't actually *have* to use a springform pan when a recipe calls for it. The springform makes it easy to get the dessert out but as long as you're willing to live with having to kind of pry and dig it out, you can use a regular pan. It might look like the dog's dinner - especially the first slice - but should still taste fine.

Here's a picture: web page

As I understand it, once the cake is baked you undo the latch and the round part springs apart leaving the cake sitting just on the bottom.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Springform Pain - If I'm wrong about this, I hope someone will say so... new
      #292235 - 12/02/06 08:47 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

This is true -- you don't need a springform pan. I used to make cheesecake in regular pans instead of springform and they were fine as long as you weren't insistent on that perfect shape.

If you buy one, don't go cheap. I've tried several cheap springform pans (under $30) and they have always leaked. I tried the aluminum foil trick but it didn't work very well. I am now no longer in the stage on my life where I am obsessive about Proper Cooking Techniques, so if a recipe calls for a particular pan/pot/tin I'll just use something else.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#292266 - 12/02/06 11:34 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

There are also nice ones where the bottom is removable, but the sides are all one piece. Less leaking, and all you do to get it out is to put your hand on the bottom of the pan and push it out of the "sidewalls"!

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2230

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review