All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mashed potatoe with parnsips recipe requested!
      #291825 - 11/29/06 12:18 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I know I've seen recipes for this before, in magazines. It sounded good.

Does anyone have a recipe for parsnip whipped potatoes? Much appreciated!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mashed potatoe with parnsips recipe requested! new
      #291870 - 11/29/06 03:22 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Here are a few I found on recipezaar. You'll have to make some substitutions, but I think this is a starting point for what you're looking for...

Mashed Potato with Parsnips
Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips and Caramelized Onions
Roasted Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips

You mean neeps and tatties? new
      #291916 - 11/29/06 06:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is what they are called in Scotland. No wait that is turnips not parsnips. Just mash potatoes and parsnips cooked with kosher salt (cut the parsnip smaller than the potato chunks to cook evenly) and add margarine and chicken or vegetable broth. You don't need milk or cream for this one and I don't recommend it. Add salt and pepper to taste.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: You mean neeps and tatties? new
      #291917 - 11/29/06 06:10 PM
Jordy

How much of each? Equal amounts? And you boil them together? How long?

Sorry, just very new to trying to cook. I don't even know how long to boil them for!

--------------------

Thanks Julie! new
      #291918 - 11/29/06 06:23 PM
Jordy

I loved that website. Very easy. Will have to buy some parsnips this weekend because I can't wait to try this! I probably wouldn't even need to add a veggie side dish. It's built in!

--------------------

Re: You mean neeps and tatties? new
      #292055 - 11/30/06 03:55 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You can boil the potatoes and parsnips together in salted water. Cover them with water and add 1t or more kosher salt. Cut the potatoes into chunks about 1 inch cube and the parsnips half that size. Then bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer until they are fork tender. When you stick a fork in they will break in half but not past that state. Ok then drain them and mash with beaters, a masher or a potato ricer or food mill. When mashed, add enough chicken broth to make them the consistency you like. This will depend how many veggies you mashed, but it isn't very much. For a quart pot of veggies no more than 1/2c broth will be needed. Then add margarine and salt and pepper to taste.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#292111 - 12/01/06 08:33 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

If you don't mind them chunky, you can also roast and mash. Cut the parsnips about half the size of the potatoes, as if you were to boil them, but toss everthing with a bit of olive oil and whatever herbs you like (I use seasoned salt and oregano). Roast at 450 for about 40 minutes -- but check them after half an hour. I always mash right in the cast iron skillet I cook them in.

ETA: You can also add carrots to this, but make sure the pieces are bigger.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Edited by raksasi (12/01/06 08:34 AM)

#292112 - 12/01/06 08:38 AM
Jordy

Can I ask how to roast veggies? Do you use the roaster pan with the rack? What kind of cast iron skillet do you roast yours in?

Thanks so much.

--------------------

#292114 - 12/01/06 08:41 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I just throw the veggies in a regular, 12-inch skillet and stick it in the middle of the oven at 450. I have NO idea if this is the "correct" way, but it makes awesome roasted potatoes, which are definitely one of my staples!

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Like the kind of skillet... new
      #292116 - 12/01/06 08:43 AM
Jordy

with a handle you use on the stove top? Can you use it as a skillet after putting it into the oven? And if it's not non-stick, what do you use to make sure potatoes don't stick?

Thanks again. Can I make this any harder!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review