All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chex Mix
      #290579 - 11/19/06 10:27 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I know we can have Heather's Honey version, but what is wrong with the original other than fat content? Here is the recipe I normally use from Chex... If I cut down the fat, is there something else in it that might not be safe??

Chex Mix
6 Tbsp butter (would need to cut this down and use safe non-dairy version or maybe canola oil)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (use non-MSG variety)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
10 cups dry stuff (combo of rice chex, corn chex, cheerios, pretzels)
2 cups pecans (can leave this out even though it's my favorite part)

Heat oven to 250. Melt butter in roasting pan. Stir in seasonings, and gradually stir in remaining ingredients. Roast this in the oven for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes, and then cool on paper towels.

This is one of my MOST favorite holiday foods, so I'm hoping I can create a safe version!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chex Mix new
      #290585 - 11/19/06 10:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you do a Search on the Recipe Board for:

chex mix

you'll find this has come up before. Heather posts about how she makes this - I think she says she puts nuts in to get the flavor but eats around them - and I'm pretty sure some other people have tried it also.

The problem with it is mostly the fat, but the Cheerios and the Wheat Chex are both probably whole grain, so IF. I've actually found some reasonable garlic pita chips so I'll probably try making the Party Mix with those pita chips plus pretzels, Rice Chex and Corn Chex at some point. I'm undecided about the nuts - I don't know if I'd have the willpower to eat around them.

I love this, too, so if you try it before I do, please post about how you did it and how it came out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#290593 - 11/19/06 12:28 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I searched for "chex mix", "party mix", and "snack mix", but I couldn't find anyone talking about it. I thought that seemed odd for such a popular food. I now have searched for chex mix without the quotes and found the thread you're talking about here. I also found this thread and this one, which had more good info.

Thanks!

#290605 - 11/19/06 02:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yeah, this search engine doesn't like quote marks. If you do want to look for a whole phrase, you can select the "Entire Phrase" option where it says "And" by default.

I'm glad you found the old posts. Please post if you give it a try - maybe that way I'll get inspired to try it before those pita chips go bad.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 476 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review