All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
No-Knead Bread
      #290296 - 11/16/06 02:53 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is from the New York Times (copyright 2006). I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I wanted to go ahead and post it because there's an article (with a few pictures) and a video that go along it. Right now the article and video are available free - you have to register for the Website but that doesn't cost anything. After a while of being free, though, this stuff moves into the archives and then it costs. Sigh. So I though I'd go ahead and get it out here in case anyone wants to read the article and see the video while's it's free.

The article is The Secret of Great Bread: Let Time Do the Work. The video is part of the article.

And here is the recipe itself:

Recipe: No-Knead Bread
Published: November 8, 2006
Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1-1/2 hours plus 14 to 20 hours' rising {Nope, that's not a typo - 14 to 20 hours is correct}

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast {Nope, that's not a typo either - 1/4 teaspoon}
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed. {I'll use cornmeal - bran is too IFfy for me}

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. {The article says the longer time is better.}

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. {In the video, the baker actually pats it out a little so it's like a really, really thick pancake, then folds it into thirds front to back, then into thirds side to side - sort of like getting a letter into a really small envelope.} Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. {Be super careful - the pan is screaming hot.} Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1-1/2-pound loaf.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (11/18/06 08:45 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No-Knead Bread new
      #290527 - 11/18/06 11:33 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Hmm, I think I might try this. My kitchen is usually around 63 degrees, so it's going to take a lot longer to rise.

Make sure you buy the right kind of yeast for this one ... instant yeast is different from the regular active dry yeast most people use.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

We tried this - it's yummy and so simple new
      #290560 - 11/18/06 08:44 PM
Sand

Joe and I made this Friday/Saturday and it's delicious. It all worked pretty much like the recipe said it would. We let it rest for the full 18 hours.

I went back and reviewed the video and have made a modification to the original recipe where I describe folding it after it rests. The baker actually pats it out a little so it's like a really, really thick pancake, then folds it into thirds front to back, then into thirds side to side - sort of like getting a letter into a really small envelope.

I did find that the dough stuck to the cotton towel after sitting on it for 2 hours - I don't know if I'll try more flour on the towel next time and maybe just let it sit on the floured counter and cover it with a towel.

We cooked it for 30 minutes covered then 22 minutes uncovered. It looked great - nice little air pockets inside and a wonderful crackling crust - but the inside was just the tiniest bit sticky still. When we make it again, we're going to crank the temperature up to 500 degrees. Although the recipe says to bake it at 450, the video says 500 so we'll try that.

The color is gorgeous and the flavor is delicious - this bread has the nicest touch of "Anheuser Busch brewery tour" yeastiness to it. And it really is ridiculously easy.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (11/19/06 07:40 AM)

Re: We tried this - it's yummy and so simple new
      #290574 - 11/19/06 08:11 AM
jen1013

Thanks for the review -- I'm going to have to buy some yeast to try this. How is the texture? Suitable for sandwiches? Without being dry, crumbly sandwiches?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

bump for Sand -nt- new
      #290750 - 11/20/06 05:57 PM
jen1013

--------------------
jen

Re: We tried this - it's yummy and so simple new
      #290756 - 11/20/06 06:31 PM
Sand

I think it should be fine for sandwiches. I've been holding off answering this because our first batch was a little sticky and I wanted to see what the bread was like if it wasn't sticky. I'm still not sure because we tried the second loaf at 500 degrees and the crust got way too brown - we haven't cut into it yet.

So at this point, I'll say the first loaf we made would have made great sandwiches with no dry, crumbly-ness. I'll let you know what the second load if like inside - we'll cut it tomorrow.

It is a very hole-y bread so if you prefer a real smooth texture in your sandwich bread, this isn't it.

--------------------

Okay, cut the second loaf new
      #290886 - 11/21/06 04:06 PM
Sand

The crust was too dark and super crunchy, but the inside was perfect and it still tasted great. I think we'll try 475 degrees for the next loaf.

Even with the crispy crust the inside was still nicely firm but not dry. I think it would make good sandwiches. The only problem I can see is that it's hard to cut thin slices - the crust is crusty and the inside is very soft - so we end up with pretty hefty slices to keep from basically shredding it.

If you do try it, let me know what you think.

--------------------

Re: Okay, cut the second loaf new
      #290911 - 11/21/06 07:14 PM
jen1013

Thanks for the review. Do you suppose that you could slice the bread thinner if you used an electric knife? I hardly ever use mine, but it works great on bread that's warm from the oven (if I try to saw at it with a regular bread knife then it gets all squashed).

I am going to start this Thursday morning. Taking into account how freezing my kitchen is this means I'll probably end up baking it on Sunday.

--------------------
jen

Re: Okay, cut the second loaf new
      #290920 - 11/21/06 08:08 PM
Sand

Ooh, electric knife. Yup, that might do it - it has a serrated blade, right?

I have to laugh about your kitchen. Ours gets awfully cold at night when the heat shuts down, so we let our bread rise on the desk. I thought about leaving the desk lamp on for it - sort of a night light for dough. It might also work to put it on top of the refrigerator toward the back - the coils in the back of ours put out a lot of heat.

Let me know what you think of the bread.

--------------------

Still playing with the temp new
      #292277 - 12/02/06 01:37 PM
Sand

We tried 475 degrees for 30 minutes covered, then 15 minutes uncovered. This is the best result we've gotten. The crust is gorgeous and crackly but not too crunchy. The inside is still just the teeniest, tiniest bit sticky. I think next time I'll try 20 minutes uncovered.

--------------------

Herb Bread Variation new
      #292284 - 12/02/06 02:20 PM
Sand

My mother made a herb bread that was wonderful but required kneading. I took the herbs she put in hers and added them to the No-Knead Bread. It smells fabulous cooking and tastes great.

After mixing together the flour, yeast, and salt and BEFORE adding the water, mix in the following:

1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon marjoram

Once you've combined these well with the flour mixture, add the water and proceed as the recipe directs.

Note that all these herbs should be dried, crushed leaves - NOT fresh and NOT powdered.

Enjoy!

--------------------

2 more variations and final temp decision new
      #311307 - 07/16/07 12:12 PM
Sand

We've now tried two more herb-y variations on this bread.

The herbs for the first one were taken from Jo's Rosemary Bread:

After mixing together the flour, yeast, and salt and BEFORE adding the water, mix in the following:

1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon dried rosemary

Once you've combined these well with the flour mixture, add the water and proceed as the recipe directs.

Note that the rosemary should be dried leaves - NOT fresh and NOT powdered. Be sure to crush the rosemary in your palm as you're adding it.

This is wonderful and tastes a lot like the bread at Macaroni Grill.

The second variation is based on Garlic And Herb Bread but since we didn't have the celery seed the original recipe called for we used celery salt instead:

Omit the salt from the basic recipe. After mixing together the flour and yeast and BEFORE adding the water, mix in the following:

1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley

Note that the basil, dill weed, and parsley should be dried leaves - NOT fresh and NOT powdered. Be sure to crush the herbs in your palm as you're adding it.

This is a wonderful sort of onion/dill bread with just a hint of the other flavorings.

As for temperatures, we've found that for our oven it works best to bake the bread at 475. Bake at this temperature for 30 minutes with lid on, then 15 minutes with lid off.

Enjoy!

--------------------

Re: No-Knead Bread new
      #338370 - 11/20/08 05:00 PM
Sand

Just bumping this up since it recently got cold enough here to make it again.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10696

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review