All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
RICE MILK QUESTION!
      #287986 - 10/26/06 07:52 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I have a question about rice milk I am lactose intolerant and haven't had in milk in years stoped eating cheese when i found this site, was just wondering how safe rice milk is I am scared to try the soy cause some people on heres been allgeric to it. I would really like to make some french toast! YUM! Thanks Sheila

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I use rice milk for everything. (m) new
      #287995 - 10/26/06 08:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't know if I'd drink it straight - and I don't eat cereal - but in cooking and baking it tastes fine to me. I use it for soups, pancakes, and so on. It's never given me a moment of tummy trouble.

Heather has a yummy French toast recipe in her Eating For IBS CookBook: Baked blueberry pecan French toast with maple blueberry syrup. I don't make the syrup - the French toast alone is great.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (10/26/06 08:16 AM)

Re: RICE MILK QUESTION! new
      #288007 - 10/26/06 09:48 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I also have no problems with rice milk. I use Rice Dream. Usually I get the vanilla flavor because I rarely make anything that requires plain (and if I do, I usually just use water or chicken broth). The enriched Rice Dream does upset my stomach -- I think it's the calcium.

I do eat cereal with Rice Dream, but I have to make sure that the cereal is fairly flavored, if you know what I mean. With stuff like plain cornflakes or Rice Krispies I can taste the milk, and I'm not crazy about the actual taste.

With soy, you need to start low and gradually work your way up. Soy is actually tough to digest, but if you continue to eat it in increasing amounts, your body will produce more of the enzyme required to digest it. I think most people overdo it with soy at first and get scared off because it makes them sick. If you've never tried it, I encourage you to do so, because the soy subs are usually much better (and easier to find) than rice/nut subs. But do go slowly.

Good luck.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#288029 - 10/26/06 11:04 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I think I've tried every brand of rice milk made...both plain and vanilla.... only cuz I buy whatever brand is on sale when I need more. I've never had any problem with any of them. But like Sand....I don't drink it by the glass...but I do use the vanilla in my cereal... so does my hubby and he likes it... you don't end up with that "flemmy" feeling in your throat like I used to after drinking regualr milk YEARS ago....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#288121 - 10/26/06 09:55 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I've had RiceDream chocolate and original (haven't tried vanilla yet). The original had a good taste, but seemed a little almost grainy on my tongue. Would probably be really good in cereal or recipes. The chocolate is SO good! I actually just finished a nice big glass of it a few minutes ago. Deelish! Almost like REAL choc milk.

As for soy milk... I like it fine, too, but I've had a hard time finding it with no carrageenan. I think Soy Dream Original (not enriched) and Chocolate varieties are okay. Soy does tend to give me gas if I have too much, so I have kind of leaned a bit more toward the rice milks. I do eat lots of other soy stuff, though... soy burgers, tofu, soy crisps, etc.

#288201 - 10/27/06 05:34 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The Rice Dream milk is very tasty, especially the chocolate if you're drinking it by the glass. Another one that is great is the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze milk.

#288376 - 10/29/06 06:44 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I love rice milk and can actually drink it by the glass. It is really good in a blender as a smoothie. But my fav is the chocolate too, micro it to have hot chocolate.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#288390 - 10/29/06 08:02 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I've never tried heating up the chocolate rice or almond milks for a hot chocolate. I'll have to give it a try on a cold day.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3105

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review