All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shortening - Snickerdoodles
      #287364 - 10/21/06 01:39 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I found a yummy looking recipe for Snickerdoodles that I would like to try. It makes 36 cookies and calls for 1 cup of shortening. From experiance, I know better than to try to change anything in the recipe. I have UC - does anyone know if this is a safe ingredient? I used to eat snickerdoodles all the time before I got sick, so I would love to find some way to enjoy them again - all my attemps with other recipes have come back as failures. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shortening - Snickerdoodles new
      #287366 - 10/21/06 02:06 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

No, shortening is definitely NOT a safe ingredient for IBS.

I love snickerdoodles, too! They are basically just sugar cookies that have been rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking. Why not try one of these recipes from the index and roll each one in a bowl of cinnamon & sugar before you bake them? Sounds like a very yummy idea!!

#287367 - 10/21/06 02:38 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The problem is you're going to end up with 1-1/3 teaspoons of fat per cookie. I don't know about UC but that's high for someone with IBS - I might be able to do it if I ate one cookie after a low-fat, high soluble fiber meal. Unfortunately, it's unlikely I'd eat just one.

I really like Julie E's suggestion - and the recipes she pointed you to look yummy. I hadn't seen them before and it's getting to be that cookie time of year...

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

shortening can be safe (m) new
      #287373 - 10/21/06 03:21 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

...sort of. It has to be strictly vegetable shortening, though -- otherwise it usually contains animal fat (lard -- mmmm).

However, vegetable shortening is just like canola oil or dairy-free margarine -- while the ingredients itself do not contain triggers, it can become a trigger by using too much of it. That's the reason why the recipe is unsafe -- 1 cup of shortening would make the cookies way too high in fat.

I use Crisco's all-vegetable shortening. I don't use it terribly often, but I always use shortening to make cake frosting and cookies that call for stick margarine.

There is a recipe for low-fat snickerdoodles in the archive. I haven't personally tried them but they seem to have gotten good reviews. Julie's suggestion is a good one too.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#287437 - 10/22/06 09:41 AM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I try to stick with the IBS diet, even though I have UC. I am supposed to be able to get to a point where I am more tollerant of certain ingredients than IBS, but I am way to scared to try. I just finally got put into remission status by my doctor, so I am afraid to do anything to upset that. I think I will just try the recipes you all have sent here and stay away from the shortning for now! I figured 1 cup was too much. Thanks for the help!

Re: Let us know how they turn out! n/t new
      #287465 - 10/22/06 12:35 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 888 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review