All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Delicious Chocolate Pudding Cake Dessert
      #282996 - 09/19/06 07:23 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Just wanted to share a 'family' recipe. My grandmother always made this absolutely mouth-watering delicious chocolate dessert, so I recently asked her for the recipe. I never realised how close to IBS-safe it was. It's also very easy to make.

So here it is:

HOT FUDGE PUDDING

6 servings

This is a dandy little pudding to make on a cold winter day. Ruby says she always made this when her family was mad at her. Then they weren't.

1 cup sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk (I used plain Silk Soy Milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons melted shortening (I used equal amount of canola oil, didn't try applesauce but that's another option)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I don't add the nuts - not everyone likes nuts!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I used melted Becel margarine)
1 3/4 cups hot water

Sift the first 4 dry ingredients and 2 tablespoons of cocoa. Stir together the milk, vanilla and melted shortening; add to the dry ingredients, mix well, then stir in the nuts. Pour into a 9" square pan. Now mix the brown sugar and 4 remaining tablespoons cocoa; sprinkle the mixture over the batter in the pan. Pour on the melted butter then carefully pour on the hot water. Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes. Serve hot.

They'll love you for this.

***Note: I sifted the dry ingredients into the 9" square pan and added the milk etc to mix the batter right in the pan.. I also made this in a 7" x 11" pan and it worked fine.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too much oil? new
      #289813 - 11/12/06 01:13 PM
K2

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this. In this recipe there is 5tbsp of oil (3 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp margarine, I sometimes just use 5 tbsp oil). How much fat (grams) is that? And is that too much, this makes about 8 servings.

I think I'll try reducing the oil amount anyways, and see how it goes. I overate it last time I made it, and had a gurgling stomach for a while.

Thanks,

--------------------
Kat

Re: Too much oil? new
      #289827 - 11/12/06 03:54 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I plugged this into Nutrition Data -- if you use all oil, calories from fat will be approximately 28%. If you use 3 T oil and 2 T margarine, calories from fat will be around 26%. (The percentage is what you need to worry about, not fat grams. However, if you use 5 T oil, that would be 70g fat for the whole dish or 8.75g per serving if you get 8 servings out of it.)

I think this would be very doable after a low-fat meal. Unless of course you eat the whole pan. If you do really want to get the fat down lower, I'd just reduce the 3 T to 2 T and not do any subs other than maybe a splash more of soy milk.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Thanks new
      #289830 - 11/12/06 04:00 PM
K2

I did eat half the pan, on an empty stomach, while stressfully studying for an exam.. The D hit after about an hour.

28% isn't too bad after a very low fat meal for me, but I don't do very well with fat. I think I'll cut out 1 tbsp, and use 2tbsp oil, 2 tbsp margarine. And I'll try not to eat the whole pan.. LOL

Thanks a bunch,

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1752

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review