All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
tofu question
      #281454 - 09/09/06 04:22 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

I'm not sure how to use it. Do I drain the water it comes in or use it?

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tofu question new
      #281455 - 09/09/06 04:43 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Depends on what you're using it for. Usually you'll want to drain it. The vast majority of recipes will specify (i.e. "12.3 oz package of Mori-Nu tofu, drained"). If it doesn't say, I'd drain it -- on the theory that you can always add extra water later, but you can't take it out.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

tofu show new
      #281561 - 09/10/06 05:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Iron Chef America is doing a tofu themed show. It starts tonight at 8 central but will surely be replayed. I am looking forward to it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

types of tofu new
      #282020 - 09/13/06 11:18 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I agree, most of the time tofu needs to be drained. It does depend, though. Which type of tofu are you using, regular or silken? Regular tofu is usually refrigerated and is most often used in main dishes, etc. as a meat replacement, and sometimes crumbled in place of cheese. Silken tofu, on the other hand, comes in cardboard asceptic packages that don't need to be refrigerated. It's most often used for puddings and desserts. When I use silken I don't usually worry as much about draining it too much because the end product is usually creamier. I hope that helps!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: tofu question new
      #282035 - 09/13/06 12:59 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello, Yes you always drain the water off the tofu. When keeping tofu that you have not used all up in a recipe - the refridgerated type that comes in a block - you just place in a container of water and make sure to change the water each day. I only keep it for a few days. Not sure how long others keep in for. Debbie, Ontario Canada

Re: tofu show new
      #282094 - 09/13/06 04:48 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I saw that! It was really amazing how they came up w/so many different recipes for tofu! It's so versatile. My BF said if I make tofu the way they did he'd try it. The whole time I was watching it I was thinking of ways to make the recipes IBS safe. Especially the ice cream!! YUM!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Iron chef new
      #282115 - 09/13/06 06:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It was amazing! I would love to have those recipes. Everyone there said tofu was so good and I have never thought so. I was blown away! The tofu flan looked nasty but sounded like it tasted great. I wonder if they had really good tofu to start with.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Iron chef new
      #282125 - 09/13/06 07:34 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I don't usually watch Iron Chef because it makes me terribly hungry and who can find food like that anywhere?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 592 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4188

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review