All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help with Cheese?
      #280376 - 08/30/06 09:52 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I was very distraught last week when I found out that the rice cheese I love so much has casein in it, among other milk ingredients. I'm very disappointed, but at least now I know what was causing me gas and pain after eating certain meals. Is there such thing as a dairy-free AND soy-free cheese substitute? I'm probably asking for a lot here... Soy tends to give me gas, and I'm not totally sold on the taste - unless someone knows of some REALLY good soy cheese. My grocery store options are Vitamin Cottage, Wild Oats, and Whole Foods.

Thanks,
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Honestly... new
      #280398 - 08/30/06 11:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Every store I've been in has had different cheese options. Look at your choices, read the ingredients, and see if any of them don't contain dairy. I'll be totally honest - I have never found one that didn't contain dairy derivatives of some kind. That, in combination with the absolutely horrible taste of most soy cheeses, led me to just not even bother... it's a heck of a lot easier to just learn to not eat cheese.

Re: Help with Cheese? new
      #280417 - 08/30/06 12:17 PM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

I did not eat cheese for two years because the soy and rice "cheese" are so horrible. The soy cheeses actually caused the D to flare-up. I can tolerate feta cheese without problems. I also can eat Cabot's 50% lite chees, but I'm careful not to overdo it since it is a dairy product. So far, no problems...

That's what I was afraid you'd say new
      #280421 - 08/30/06 12:46 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Dairy has been one of the hardest things to give up - and I had been SO excited to find the rice cheese because it tastes SO GOOD! And I was loving Kree's baked mac 'n' cheese - until it gave me really bad gas. I know you're probably right, Casey, but there MUST be something out there! And I agree that soy cheese tastes horrible...

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: That's what I was afraid you'd say new
      #280739 - 09/03/06 07:08 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

galaxy vegan cheese, same brand as the rice cheese, follow your hearts gourmet vegan cheese alternative and veganrella are all completely dairy free of all types, they don't taste as good as the rice cheese, which was my personal favorite. the galaxy one is soy based and so is follow your hearts, the veganrella is rice/oat based. Good luck

Re: That's what I was afraid you'd say new
      #280914 - 09/05/06 11:32 AM
moon01064

Reged: 02/16/06

I use to be a HUGE cheese lover myself until I was told about 1 1/2 years ago that I had IBS! I REALLY missed grilled cheese sandwiches!! The only cheese I've tried that I've liked and was completely safe and did not bother me..however I still take it easy and only have it once in a while... was "Tofutti Mozzarella Cheese Slices"!! There are 2 health food stores in my area, "Wild Oats" (I live in Miami, Florida) and they have not had it for like 3 months now so I've been really missing it and very upset!! I asked the manager and he says for whatever reason, the company has not sent them any in their shipments for the last few months. Lets hope they get it again, although, honestly...I've gotten use to not eating cheese. Most of them bother me...even the soy ones, plus they taste pretty bad. You can go on-line to the "Tofutti" home page and actually read the label of ingredients on the cheese! It does contain "Carrageenan" which tends to sometimes bother some people with IBS, so be careful! Good Luck!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review