All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Re: Frozen Rice or Soy Milk...
      #277326 - 08/06/06 05:52 AM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Hi, Does anyone out there have a recipe for frozen Rice or Soy Milk?? In this hot weather it would sure taste good to have something really cold to eat. I used to make fugicles for my kids when they were young and my mother used to take the cream from the tops of the bottles and mix it with cocoa and a little sugar and freeze them. They were so good, but of course now I can't have that kind of thing. So if anyone has a suggestion please let me know
Marilla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frozen Rice or Soy Milk... new
      #277334 - 08/06/06 06:47 AM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

You could make the chocolate silk pudding from Eating for IBS and freeze it into fudgesicles. I haven't done that yet but I have been thinking about it ever since it was suggested it could be frozen in an ice cream maker. But it sounds divine for summer, because the pudding itself is wonderful!

Meg

#277337 - 08/06/06 07:07 AM
Springtime09

Hi Meg, Thanks for answering my question. I am new to this site and am not sure where to find the recipe for Chocolate Silk Pudding from "Eating For IBS" It sounds wonderful and am dying to try it.
Marilla

#277340 - 08/06/06 07:24 AM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

I will post it here for you. It was in a newsletter a while back but it is in Heather's Book " Eating for IBS " which I highly recommend if you don't have it, a lot of great recipes and it outlines in detail the rules for eating with IBS.

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Silk Pudding

Makes 6 Servings

3 tablespoons Acacia Tummy Fiber (optional)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons cornstarch
dash salt
3 cups vanilla soy/rice milk (don't use Silk brand - it won't thicken)
6 tablespoons dark corn syrup such as Karo (this is not high fructose corn syrup)
3 organic egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl beat the egg whites until lightly frothy. Set aside.

In a heavy, large double boiler whisk together all ingredients to salt. Gradually whisk in the milk and corn syrup, and scraping around the bottom and edges of the pan with a rubber spatula until thoroughly blended. Set pan over boiling water and cook, whisking constantly until the mixture reaches a full boil. Continue whisking for one more minute, and remove from heat.

Carefully whisk several very large spoonfuls of hot pudding into the egg whites to temper (warm without scrambling) them. Add the egg mixture back to the pan of pudding and whisk well to thoroughly blend.

Return the pan to the heat and whisk constantly for one minute until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Pour into six serving glasses and chill until cold.

By the way, Welcome to the boards !
Meg

#277343 - 08/06/06 08:04 AM
Springtime09

Thanks for the welcome Meg, I appreciate the recipe for Chocolate Silk Pudding. The book sounds great too.
I am slowly finding my way through this website and finding a lot of good information.
Marilla

A simpler recipe for fudgsicles & pudding pops new
      #277359 - 08/06/06 08:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Jello brand puddings that you cook - certain flavors, I know the chocolate and vanilla are fine - are safe, as they contain no dairy. Prepare it with your soy/rice milk, then pour the cooked pudding into small paper cups or popsicle molds and freeze. Voila!

I will warn you that pudding makes only so-so ice cream, because it freezes so solid that it's nearly impossible to scoop out of a container. But it makes fantastic ice pops!

Karo in the Pudding Recipe... new
      #277360 - 08/06/06 09:06 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

That is very interesting, that the dark corn syrup contains no HFCS. (Though the light and the maple-flavored do, it appears.) Good to know. But I don't think that's going to help me with pecan pie.

http://www.karosyrup.com/nutrition.asp

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review